Scaffold trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Today on my ride, there was a scaffold truck sitting about 1-2metres from my back wheel. There was no room for him to pass so he had to sit behind me. I want straight on at the mini round about and he came up even closer. Going up a short slope/hill he got closer and his mate shoved his head out of the window and shouted something about being on the pavement. I carried on for abit then got off the road when he got closer. I got his number, well half of it, and i think i know the place where they work. Is it worth emailing or ringing the company, or should i just not bother? It really was annoying, because i pull into a junction just up the road to let the cars behind over take, so i dont have them sitting right up behind me.
I dont have a helmet cam, so i didnt get any footage, there were plenty of car drivers about though, would have been nice if one had come over when i was putting the registration plate into my phone to say that they saw what happened.
So what do you think, email or ring up and complain, or not bother?
All i think i will get is the boss saying that he will have a word with the driver, and then the driver saying that i was cycling dangerously, and there be no point.
i wasnt cycling dangerously, i was slightly further away from the curb, because there was a long cue of cars going the other way.
What would you have done if this happened to you?

Joe

Freewheeler

What would you have done if this happened to you?

Probably have got annoyed and maintained my same road position. My time and safety are no less valuable than anyone else's, regardless of their vehicle.

ash68

Fortunatly don't get too much hassle like this.If I think its safe I'll maintain position and cycl e as normal.However if they get really close I will get out of the way if I feel threatened by their actions.Life's

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Thats pretty much what i did do. Theres 2 mini round about, and he caught up with me at the 1st, then sat close up behind me for about 300m till the second one, then got even closer. It was only because his mate put his head out of the window and started to shout abuse that i got out the way. I've gone up and down that road alot, so i have moved out further to stop people coming past, and leave pretty much no room at all.
Dont you think that theres only so much of staying in the place and stopping them coming past that you can do, before they get too annoyed, or get really angry?

ash68

agreed, I like to stand my ground on the road, but if I feel my personal safety is at risk then I will back off. There are some nutters on the road and its not worth taking the risk particularly if your on your own.Life's too short to worry about these idiots best just to let them past and forget about them no good risking personal injury just to prove a point.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I want to make a set up to have a camera i can pull out quickly and start taking pictures, just got to find a cheep camera that i can do it with.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Joe24 said:
So what do you think, email or ring up and complain, or not bother?
All i think i will get is the boss saying that he will have a word with the driver, and then the driver saying that i was cycling dangerously, and there be no point.
Joe

I'd give a bell
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12544045&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Could be the guys 'known' and people don't employ people to get the company a bad name.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I would write a letter or email myself. The driver will still have to explain himself to his boss/transport manager. Embarassing at best for him.

I tend to worry about scaffold lorries if I'm following one. Has everyone noticed that the poles are loaded with purely their weight and friction keeping them from coming out of the back of the usually tailgate less flat bed? Hate to think of the consequences of a pole actually coming off out of the back under acceleration. ;)

OP
OP
J

Joe24

BentMikey said:
Yes, I would write a letter or email myself. The driver will still have to explain himself to his boss/transport manager. Embarassing at best for him.

I've got the company, so i'll send them an email and see what they say. I've seen that scaffold truck, or the other ones in the company before, but never had one behind me before.

I dont think the poles would fall off, i'd be more worried about what would happen if he had to brake hard and the loads came through the cab.
Theres a video on youtube where a truck hits a pole, and the hole loads come through the cab. Unlikly it will happen on a scaffold truck though.

spindrift

Ideal Scaffolding of Woolwich emplot monkeys who throw stuff at cyclists on the Hackney Road. A call to their office was ignored.

Top Bottom