Scaffolding Trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Didn't know where else to put this but as I see them whilst commuting here seemed a good home for now.

The other evening I passed a scaffolding truck that had been pulled by the Slops. I couldn't see anything wrong with it, looked just like a normal scaffolding truck so I assumed he'd done something naughty.

Anyways since then I've been paying attention and I've noticed that suddenly scaffolding trucks have become more enclosed (I always wondered why the stuff didn't fall off) with back boards and cable/webbing over the top. Are there new laws around them or are Police now enforcing existing laws?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must admit I've always worried about things falling off them or them stopping quickly, and so have given them a widest berth.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
The Truck was probably over weight
I still see scaffold trucks running around with out and restraining straps around its load
suppose the weight of the bars keeps it stable
Possibly. It's just that nearly everyone I've seen since that evening is far more constrained. It just seems weird.

Tynan

Veteran
I've always idly considered scaffolders as one or perhaps two up from organised crime so I suspect the police have always had an interest in them

they're always stealing scaffolding off each other aren't they, just for instance

screenman

Legendary Member
I've always idly considered scaffolders as one or perhaps two up from organised crime so I suspect the police have always had an interest in them

they're always stealing scaffolding off each other aren't they, just for instance

I know of 2 scaffolding companies, niether meet you description. Of course all cyclist run down pedestrians.

[QUOTE 3853923, member: 9609"]I'm always a bit wary round scaffold trucks, they are often just 7½ tonners so can be driven on a car licence (they at least need a cpc now) they are often at the max length for rigids (often longer than an 8 wheel tipper) with huge rear overhangs - I keep well away from them whether Im on bike or in car,[/QUOTE]
Is this about CPC correct, I thought that if the person driving was actually a scaffolder, and using the vehicle just to transport tools of the trade, they were exempt from CPC?

I give all lorries a clear space when cycling.

sidevalve

Über Member
Point I note here - sorry to be boring
1 - they have passed, yep - one more test than any cyclist has to pass
2 - keeping well back in case they stop suddenly - why, do you normally just run into something that has to stop ?
3 - falling off - poles don't usually fall off backwards [the acceleration isn't usually that great] and sideways - be honest how often - I mean really ?
4 - not sure sure what cyclists running down pedestrians has to do with anything
Just trying to introduce a note of reality into the usual boring cyclists are perfect everybody else is a monster thread.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Methinks @sidevalve hasn't had his happy tablet today. Here's a picture of a kitten to cheer you up.
8263372138_3904eb1191.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
I know of 2 scaffolding companies, niether meet you description. Of course all cyclist run down pedestrians.

calm down fella, I'm sure there's lots of hardworking and upstanding scaffolders, I did rather quality my post from start to finish as light hearted and a bit of a joke, they do mark up their poles and alarm and lock their erected scaffolding though don't, granted someone else might be doing the stealing, best not post my guess at who they might be in case of further offence

Top Bottom