Scalped...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
:biggrin:
It does'nt bother me :ohmy:...no really :?::biggrin:...well...

Dont you hate it when you're commuting on a roadbike, reasonable pace, not too fast....and a hybrid / MTB rider whizzes past from nowhere :ohmy:...and then turns off, almost like he's got you, then had enough.

I'd just love to say...'can you keep that up for 50 miles, eh eh'.

I'm not that bothered someones overtaken me...just bothered the self satisfied little sh1t didnt give me a chance to drive him into the ground.

Must keep my eyes open in the future and not give em the chance. Still, shouldnt complain. The ratio's probably 5000/1 in my favour overall.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Today I was overtaken by an electric bike :biggrin:......how bad is that :ohmy:

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
come on, thats my favorite game when out on the bike... race past the local club riders/bike snobs at full speed then turn off up ahead and collapse in the ditch for ten minutes :biggrin:

Half the time im not fast enough to beat anyone except electric bikes but i guess their day will come.Been good this week though.

monnet

Guru
Why are we cyclists such children?

I've had guys come past me or (equally, if not more annoyingly) sit on my back wheel so I've just HAD to burn them off. The thing is I want to tell them 'I rode 70miles yesterday' or 'I did a 25 last night' or 'today is a recuperation day'.

I should just be zen accept that on my commute there are days when I am, genuinely, recovering from the efforts of the day(s) and adhere to the training regime but I can't stand being scalped, I have to get my revenge!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Of course, you see the occasional commuter on a MTB who deserves respect.
Theres a guy i used to see regularly...really quite fast..quite athletic who used to give me a run for the money. :biggrin::tongue::sad::ohmy:

Also, a former colleague who rode a Cape Wrath with 2.1 inch knobblies. He rode 20 miles with me once at a quite respectable speed. I said to him...'Chris...FFS, get a roadbike, you'll muller me then'

I prefer them overtaking me.im too clapped out to race.

Ben M

monnet said:
The thing is I want to tell them 'I rode 70miles yesterday' or 'I did a 25 last night' or 'today is a recuperation day'.

I agree with this so much. Whenever I'm cycling back from the gym, going more slowly than usual, I always feel slightly ashamed. Even when I'm not being overtaken, just when there are people nearby, and I'm crawling up Whitelady's Road like some sort of massive girl.

It is mega satisfying though when I've just been at the gym doing cardio, or even worse squatting, and I sail past someone going up the hill. I give myself manpoints for that :becool:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Ever been passed by a guy on rollerskates? I was! Granted, he was a marathon speedskater on rollerblades who was drafting a guy on a roadbike (training) but, technically, he was a guy on rollerskates, right? I sped up and stayed kinda close, just because I was enjoying watching the guy, but I didn't want to interfere. Eventually, he dropped back, and joined me for awhile, and we had an interesting conversation. I was on a recumbent, and actually had to slow a little for him to stay with me, because he couldn't get any draft off my bike.
I'm not a competitive person, by nature, and really don't care if I get "scalped". I don't race, and am either using the bike for transportation, or enjoying a fun ride. When I stopped, later, and my friend caught up, he said, "I was about to just sit down in the ditch and call my wife to come and pick me up! I was going to tell here 'I quit! I just got passed by a guy on roller skates!'" ;-)

rusky

CC Addict
What really gets me is when I overtake someone going really slowly, I stop at a red light, they keep going, either on the road or up onto the pavement, then when the lights change I have to overtake them again.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I passed a guy on a road bike this morning on my heavy hybrid and kept going! He was wearing a buff so I assumed he was a serious cyclist so I just kept my pace up and carried on. I was late for work though so it had something to do with the pace I was keeping; averaged 18mph on the ride in.

Top Bottom