Scalped...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SlowCoach

Über Member
eldudino said:
I passed a guy on a road bike this morning on my heavy hybrid and kept going!
I'm regularly passed on my roadbike whilst commuting to work. It might just be that I can't be enthused to ride quickly on the way there just so I can spend longer at work. I may be also trying to avoid working up a sweat and having to change once I'm there.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
SlowCoach said:
It might just be that I can't be enthused to ride quickly on the way there just so I can spend longer at work. I may be also trying to avoid working up a sweat and having to change once I'm there.

I try to work up a sweat as quickly as possible to get the blood flowing, it does mean that I have to change at work.

rusky said:
What really gets me is when I overtake someone going really slowly, I stop at a red light, they keep going, either on the road or up onto the pavement, then when the lights change I have to overtake them again.

Yeah about twelve bloody times.

Shouldn't this thread be in Racing rather than Commuting?

I did actually used to draft when I was fast enough at one time on my commute.

SlowCoach said:
I'm regularly passed on my roadbike whilst commuting to work. It might just be that I can't be enthused to ride quickly on the way there just so I can spend longer at work. I may be also trying to avoid working up a sweat and having to change once I'm there.

Some days im faster,I have been recently.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's a point of honour that no-one has ever overtaken me on a commute. OK, one guy did, once, but I chased him down and passed him again (it took two miles, up and down the only real hill).

The best moment was when I drew alongside a guy on a racing bike at the lights. He looks at the bike.

"Singlespeed?"

"Nah. Fixed."

And the lights changed, but he went a different way.

Ben M

rogerzilla said:
It's a point of honour that no-one has ever overtaken me on a commute. OK, one guy did, once, but I chased him down and passed him again (it took two miles, up and down the only real hill).

The best moment was when I drew alongside a guy on a racing bike at the lights. He looks at the bike.

"Singlespeed?"

"Nah. Fixed."

And the lights changed, but he went a different way.

Where do you commute?

*gets bike out*

I know why I am slower though and it was due to something that happened in 1996 and not due to old age.

It seems unfair but life is unfair sometimes.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's never happened to me!

However, I did have someone draft me on rollerblades for a good few miles once when I was living in Tokyo - they were also some kind of a serious athlete - I am guessing a speed-skater becuase that's pretty big in Japan - and they said 'thank-you' very nicely when they'd had enough! So that was fine...

Mind you, that was when I was the guy riding the dodgy-looking self-built MTB with only 4 working gears... and I regularly used to leave people on very expensive racing bikes trailing, except for the extraordinarily lovely young Japanese ladies, who for some reason caused me to slow down...

Ian Johnson

I have noticed that whenever I get passed its almost always on an inclined road,and its usually by 'fast' roadie racer types who look slim, I can live with that:tongue:. Although I tend to pass more cyclists than get overtaken.I got well and truley scalped on sunday by said type,and yes it was going up a long but not too steep uphill in Hindley.He turned and said 'alright' with a smug grin as he left me for dust :smile:. Wasn't anyone on here was it :biggrin:.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
rusky said:
What really gets me is when I overtake someone going really slowly, I stop at a red light, they keep going, either on the road or up onto the pavement, then when the lights change I have to overtake them again.

Nah, i like it when that happens. The more times i do that, the more pleasure i get. I just hope it shows the errant rider the pointlessness of his actions.

Top Bottom