Scams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Just had a withheld caller. He knew my name and claimed to be Hammersmith Police Station. They had caught two people attempting to use my bank card!

I acted a bit dumb and gave no straight answers and they hung up.

Goggled and this is a known scam, so be careful.

postman

Legendary Member
Our phone has the names of who is ringing.i now know the hospital dept numbers.So if the name does not show,it does not get answered a perfect system so far.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I often get cold calls; lately most of them claming to be from 3mobile. If they don't start speaking as soon as I answer, I hang up. If they say they are from a company that I know I don't deal with, I hang up. If they catch me at a particular inconveient time, they might get a f-off before I hang up.

Quite an annoying time when you're moving house and have done things like open new bank accounts and the like. Some companies numbers only show as 031xxx something so you kind of have to answer each one in case it's real.

My Great Aunt got scammed a couple years ago. She foolishly gave her CC details over the phone to some scam artist. Then realised she shouldn't have done it so cancelled her card. Worrying really, as she was a teacher for 30 years

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just had a withheld caller. He knew my name and claimed to be Hammersmith Police Station. They had caught two people attempting to use my bank card!

I acted a bit dumb and gave no straight answers and they hung up.

Goggled and this is a known scam, so be careful.

Police Stations would never do this, your bank might phone you but they are more likely to block it at most.

stephec

Legendary Member
We had a bloke ring up earlier and tell us that our loft insulation could cause cancer, maybe not a genuine scam but a good way to fleece people by carrying out work that isn't needed.

'When have you been up in my loft to check?' was enough to stop him.

I had a call today from a lady telling me that the government were willing to come and fit a new boiler for me free of charge. I asked if I could book in Mr Rees-Mog to do the work and she hung up on me...

To be fair there are a few schemes the government offer for eligible households though you are better off applying direct: Help from your energy supplier: the Energy Company Obligation

This lady was probably calling from a supplier trying to get you to sign up with them, so sales rather than scam most likely.

Top Bottom