Scams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quite an annoying time when you're moving house and have done things like open new bank accounts and the like. Some companies numbers only show as 031xxx something so you kind of have to answer each one in case it's real.
0131 numbers seem to be getting used a lot for the scammers recently.

I got a call from one today and nearly didn’t answer as I didn’t recognise the number. Good job I did though. Was the garage calling to say my car was ready for collection!

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Just had another message, on my mobile this time, on the lines of
"Hi Mum, bad start to the day, I've dropped my phone and the screen is completely smashed, can you use this number for me 07xxxxxxxxx."
Bit of a giveaway, as I am "Dad", rather then "mum" and they would have added their names or rung on the landline.

Blocked and deleted the msg.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just had another message, on my mobile this time, on the lines of
"Hi Mum, bad start to the day, I've dropped my phone and the screen is completely smashed, can you use this number for me 07xxxxxxxxx."
Bit of a giveaway, as I am "Dad", rather then "mum" and they would have added their names or rung on the landline.

Blocked and deleted the msg.

Yep......it seems such an obvious scam but sadly people are taken in by it.

Baldy

Über Member
Police Stations would never do this, your bank might phone you but they are more likely to block it at most.

Three times I've had a text from the bank saying " Suspect activity on your account. Did you just authorise a transaction for £xxxxx at argos Aberdeen? If not contact our fraud line ergently".

The number for the fraud line is on their website, they were very quick and stopped the transaction so I didn't loose anything.

Had to change my cards, pin numbers etc each time. The last time they'd even gone into my accounts and moved money from my savings account to my current account. To cover their spending.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Three times I've had a text from the bank saying " Suspect activity on your account. Did you just authorise a transaction for £xxxxx at argos Aberdeen? If not contact our fraud line ergently".

The number for the fraud line is on their website, they were very quick and stopped the transaction so I didn't loose anything.

Had to change my cards, pin numbers etc each time. The last time they'd even gone into my accounts and moved money from my savings account to my current account. To cover their spending.
I have had that kind of thing happen once, which was bad enough. Three times, and I would be getting seriously concerned at how that could be happening! :eek:

Yes, online banking not as secure as they'd like us to believe. I now have extra security.

Mine is constantly trying to capture my voice for security, I keep refusing. On the other hand it has good One Time Password protection and often challenges me to authorise transactions.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The wife got an email today from
Royal Mail advising an under payment for a delivery.
It looked very real, only asked for £2.50 to release the package.
I bet loads of people are falling for it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Yes, online banking not as secure as they'd like us to believe. I now have extra security.

You have to make sure your bank pin and passwords are totally unique.
Even if like most people you use duplicate passwords for some other sites.
Even then you can still get rumbled.

R_nger

Guru

The spelling of “ergently” should have alerted you

gbb

Legendary Member
Be aware that Caller ID can be spoofed with any number by scammers!

That probably wouldn't happen with the hospital numbers, but scammers could, for example, pretend to be from a bank.

Yep, seen the number spoofing...
I've just suffered a spate of Wangiri scam calls, numbers from Dubai, Canada, the Netherlands and others, leaving texts, calling etc and the deal is to try to get you to call them back, at extraordinarily high call rates apparently.
It's eased off after 20 plus calls but two had bogus caller IDS. I tried blocking international calls but not with any luck (although I havnt had one for several days so maybe the blocking is working). I just ignore them now, although I did have fun with one, just giving an Indian sounding fella an endless load of expletives until it got to him, cheesed him off, at which point I laughed and rang off.

Top Bottom