Scandium Frame - Dented

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

Anyone have experience of scandium frames? I have a Kona Kula with a frame made of this and got because it was so light for the price. I have found a dent in the up tube from the BB to the steering - near the bottom. Was not aware of it happening .. just discovered it recently. Its about 2inches long and 1.5 inches high, pretty shallow. Does not seem to affect the ride in any way.

Do these frames dent easily? Is it a problem that may get worse? should i be worried ...

lb81

I would say that depends on how hard you ride it. Normal trail riding etc then it will be fine, any jumping etc then it will be a weak point. I would just keep an eye on it and inspect regularly for any signs of cracking.

I've not owned one but scandium-alloy frames are supposed to be pretty strong and have greater resistance to stress than normal 7005 / 6061 etc especially around the welds...

gb901

Anyone have experience of scandium frames? I have a Kona Kula with a frame made of this and got because it was so light for the price. I have found a dent in the up tube from the BB to the steering - near the bottom. Was not aware of it happening .. just discovered it recently. Its about 2inches long and 1.5 inches high, pretty shallow. Does not seem to affect the ride in any way.

Do these frames dent easily? Is it a problem that may get worse? should i be worried ...
quite robust and lighter than usual aluminium. However frame that much thinner. had ascandium framed kona FS

Top Bottom