Scary chain problem this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just two minutes out of the house and descending the steep hill to the main road, I changed down to the big sprocket in readiness for setting off again at the junction. Unfortunately the rear mech over-shifted and fed the chain into the spokes causing a solid lock-up of the rear at 25mph. I don't know how I managed to keep it upright as I skidded down the camber and into the kerbside some 20 yards further on. Thankfully there was no other traffic behind me.

I had to wrestle the chain out of the wheel as it had manged to overlap itself. Now it pedals very stiffly and will not change down beyond the second smallest sprocket, I think I may have damaged the mech or even the hanger. Fingers crossed it's the former.

I pushed it back home and had to resort to the car instead, what a bummer.
I don't even have the satisfaction of reviewing my handling skills on video as I'd forgotten to switch on my camera.

GC

machew

Veteran
Isn't that what the plastic disks that are installed on new bikes supposed to prevent?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

This isn't a new bike (it's a 1999 HP SMGT) and doesn't have such a disk.

It's annoying because I failed to pay heed to the few recent times where I felt the overshift early and was quick enough to drop back a gear and keep pedalling to pull the chain back onto the cogs again.

GC

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't need the plastic discs. Oh dear - you knew the overshift was there - should have sorted it earlier as it can be expensive and 'painful' !

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Oh dear - you knew the overshift was there - should have sorted it earlier as it can be expensive and 'painful' !

Yes, I know, I feel a right prat about that. I was going to say that it only happened very rarely etc but that doesn't matter; I should've checked it over before it did what it did - lesson learned!

GC

RossDon

Just two minutes out of the house and descending the steep hill to the main road, I changed down to the big sprocket in readiness for setting off again at the junction. Unfortunately the rear mech over-shifted and fed the chain into the spokes causing a solid lock-up of the rear at 25mph. I don't know how I managed to keep it upright as I skidded down the camber and into the kerbside some 20 yards further on. Thankfully there was no other traffic behind me.

I had to wrestle the chain out of the wheel as it had manged to overlap itself. Now it pedals very stiffly and will not change down beyond the second smallest sprocket, I think I may have damaged the mech or even the hanger. Fingers crossed it's the former.

I pushed it back home and had to resort to the car instead, what a bummer.
I don't even have the satisfaction of reviewing my handling skills on video as I'd forgotten to switch on my camera.

GC
It sounds as though your limit adjusters are not set on the rear derailleur

machew

Veteran
[QUOTE 1829224, member: 45"]OT, but is that your neck?[/quote]
Not my neck, my missus's neck

Top Bottom