Scary Experiences on Your Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'll go first.

In the middle of one of my first ever century rides, the weather getting wetter and wetter eventually turned to a torrential thunderstorm and my mate and I took shelter under a copse. I was in Look cleats, my mate on mtb spds, so much more mobile.

Also deciding to take shelter were a herd of long horn cows, who on seeing us took umbrage. The lead cow charged us, head down. My mate legged it, but I had no chance, so had to stand tall, wave my arms and clench my sphincter tight. The cow stopped just short.

tyred

Legendary Member
Being blown off my bike by a gust of wind on the Connor Pass. The mountain had shielded me from the wind until I crested the final little bit. The wind was so strong I could barely move away from the cliff face and watched my laden touring bike being blown across the road like an empty Coke tin. I had no choice but to go back down it again and take the low road to Dingle. The aborted attempt over thd mountain added perhaps 35 miles to my total for the day and the headwind was mostly severe. I slept well that night.

Ripple

Veteran
Being hit by car with a purpose from behind. 3 drunk and high on drugs lads inside the car, one of them had a gun (police told me later). I fell off the bike and ran away into the nearby woods. Lads grabbed my bike and drove off. They couldn't fit a broken bike into the boot so it was sticking out and this is how the police spotted them.

I was really scared when they hit my bike. Took me about 2 years to stop being paranoid about cars coming from behind.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nothing more than what I think motorcyclists refer to as a tank slapper. I was descending a steep countryside hill quite irresponsibly at getting on for about 40mph and was too fast for the bend, I found myself under steering and running out of road on the left hand side, I braked and struggled to stay balanced, going overbalanced left, then underbalanced on the right, over and over between the two. I could only see barbed wire, dry stone walls, and impending doom.... I eventually, just about got it under control which was more than I could say for my heart rate, I needed a sit down for ten minutes.
I've come off before of course, but not at that speed and that frightened me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nothing more than what I think motorcyclists refer to as a tank slapper. I was descending a steep countryside hill quite irresponsibly at getting on for about 40mph and was too fast for the bend, I found myself under steering and running out of road on the left hand side, I braked and struggled to stay balanced, going overbalanced left, then underbalanced on the right, over and over between the two. I could only see barbed wire, dry stone walls, and impending doom.... I eventually, just about got it under control which was more than I could say for my heart rate, I needed a sit down for ten minutes.
I've come off before of course, but not at that speed and that frightened me.
similar , straight road though single lane and clocking similar speed when a car decides to overtake

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Riding round on the blue line of Velodrome in a group 40 with a deflating rear tire slowly losing grip of the track :eek:

I bought a 2nd hand track bike and the rear tyre failed at the top of the banking. I shot down the straight onto the flat, and somehow kept it upright. The coach gave me an absolute bollocking for coming down irresponsibly, until she realised what had happened. New tyres next ride!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Not too much because I'm a bit of coward and don't get myself into such situations, but:
1) Going down Helmsdale on my LEJOG. I was doing 40mph down hill. It was a bit moist, not just my cycle shorts area. I could see the hair-pin coming up, but wasn't sure I could scrub off enough speed before getting there, as my back wheel was locking up with each dab of the brakes.

2) Being in a bit of a funny mood and cycling around the local countryside in the dark without adequate lighting. I was going down a steep hill when a car came up behind me and lit up the road. Just as well as a badger was eating some carrion just in front of me.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Slamming into a side of a vehicle at 23mph after getting caught out by a by a sudden bout of heavy rain. My brakes had turned into icecream. driver was turning left but he didnt complete his turn due to letting a pedestrian cross.

Changed out the brake calipers to some Shimano ones with Kool Stop Salmons (I think i also have some Dura 2's somewhere)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Close passes, thunderstorms, brake failures, lights packing in half way through a night ride .... the lot. But the scariest has to go to a near miss when I came round blind corner in top gear and narrowly avoided disappearing up the rear end of a horse that was being ridden very slowly down the road in front of me. I so very nearly recreated that scene from Police Academy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Slamming into a side of a vehicle at 23mph after getting caught out by a by a sudden bout of heavy rain. My brakes had turned into icecream. driver was turning left but he didnt complete his turn due to letting a pedestrian cross.
What happened to you after the crash,injury wise? I did similar and about the same speed 5 years ago,ending up with a flight over the car roof,after making a 2 foot high crease in the passenger side rear paneling,and then sliding along the tarmac with my helmet ending up cracked and full of little dents caused by the tarmac. I wasn't badly injured though,just a dislocated little finger and a pulled buttock muscle. That helmet saved my head that day,but that's not for discussion on this thread,as the mods would point out if it went further.:whistle: I got £4,500 (after solicitor's fees) compo from the boy racer's insurance and seeing as it was his 5th driving offence into his 2 year old license he lost the thing. For how long i'm not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom