Scavenging...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I was chomping on a few perfecly fine sarnies the missus had got for 29p each from the waitrose bargain out-of-date-last-half-hour-clear-out shelves
Mind you I bet they still made a whopping % profit:angry:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
On a slightly OT note, I was horrified at the Hugh Fiercely-Eatsitall chicken programme last night. Not so much at the intensive chicken rearing, I had a pretty good idea about that already, although it did make me resolve to only buy free range meat from now on, and eat less of it if I had to to afford it... But at one point, he set out to show a bunch of consumers how to make a second meal out of a roast chicken, and they were amazed at the amount of meat that came off the bone, and the stock made from the carcass. They didn't even realise there was meat 'underneath' the chicken (the other side to the breast). How have people become so sheer unobservant?

When my sister and I were teenagers, one chicken fed us family of four for three meals - 12 portions off one bird. The bird was pulled apart as soon as it was cooked (mewat comes off easier hot) and the sliced roast breast eaten on Sunday, then the meat pulled off the carcass, combined with veg or a white sauce made a pasta dish or risotto for the next two days. And the carcass made stock for soup later.

As for the obese woman whining on about not being able to afford extra for free range, how H F-W stopped himself from suggesting she economise on chips and biscuits instead, I don't know.... If she really doesn't care, fair enough, but to hide behind 'poverty', when you are plainly eating too much every day, that's dishonest...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have apparently inadvertently caused a rumpus with my request on the Local Freecycle, when asking which Charity shops in the next town would like some plastic bags to re-use. In this town we have Oxfam who already have a "no bags" policy, and a very posh one, who have their own bags

First of all I was bombarded with fairly abusive comments about not recycling them in that way, and that they should be recycled into "bio-degradable" bags, which presumably means that they take one hundred years to degrade instead of four hundred years.;)

Some one had thought last year about making it a "bagless" town, and managed to get an article in to the local Newspaper. I was very interested to read that "following a discussion on Freecycle last Sunday on the subject of recycling BBBBLLaaaahhh bbbllaahhh". Funny sort of "discussion" :biggrin:.

This led, the following week, to some considerably more knowledgeable people expressing their views on how other ideas might be more useful in reducing CO2 emissions, ie cutting down on food waste, and how plastic bags account for only one per cent of landfill.

My point is that keen as I am on recycling, I think a certain amount of perspective needs to be maintained as well as, and this is perhaps more difficult for some, a constructive, and polite, attitude to the whole subject. I have now been looking out for, and found, some very attractive "traditional" shopping bags.

Top Bottom