England : Lancashire Scenic ride - Cross o' Greet, Wray, Bowland Knotts - Sat, 6th August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My pal Bill says that he is free on Saturday 6th August, so we are planning to do the ride then, subject to acceptable weather conditions. Other pals Carrie and Kevin have expressed interest, but I am waiting to hear if they are free.

If you would like to come along, post below.

Subject to whether any water is falling from the sky, I'll do the 'meet you somewhere around Slaidburn' thing discussed upthread.

doughnut

Veteran
Afraid I cant make this one Colin. Got to travel to London to bring my eldests' stuff back from University on Saturday and in the few weekends after that I have to deliver stuff to St Andrews (youngest) and Heidelberg(eldest).
Both kids will be at University by mid-September and I'm hoping to take back control of my life after 20 years of parenting, so fingers crossed I will have more time for your rides.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Subject to whether any water is falling from the sky, I'll do the 'meet you somewhere around Slaidburn' thing discussed upthread.
Okay. We will be trying to avoid anything more than the odd shower. Heavy rain up there, no thanks ... @Littgull recently did a ride up Teesdale with one of his sons and they got caught in a biblical deluge which almost resulted in hospitalisation due to hypothermia! :eek:

Afraid I cant make this one Colin. Got to travel to London to bring my eldests' stuff back from University on Saturday and in the few weekends after that I have to deliver stuff to St Andrews (youngest) and Heidelberg(eldest).
Both kids will be at University by mid-September and I'm hoping to take back control of my life after 20 years of parenting, so fingers crossed I will have more time for your rides.
Excellent!

I am in Scotland for the first week of September, and Nickyboy's ride from Leeds to Scarborough is on the 24th but that leaves Sat 17th free (and also Sun 18th). I'll organise something for the 17th with the option of the 18th in case of poor weather.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I would have been up for this one, as it starts nearly in my back yard, but I'm in for a shoulder operation next Monday. No cycling or driving for 12 weeks after.
Fed up with it already :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah. I read Colin's last post where he was talking about 17th and 18th. Obviously got it up round my neck again.
So, do you fancy it THIS Saturday then? I was wondering whether you had spotted the thread. :okay:

The forecast is currently looking ok for Saturday, but it could easily change by the weekend. We will have to keep an eye on it.

I nipped out and did 24 lumpy miles this afternoon and felt fine so I think my dental issues are NOT going to be an issue, unless I forget and start trying to eat tricky things like nuts. My gums are not healed enough for that yet, but they are getting there.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
So, do you fancy it THIS Saturday then? I was wondering whether you had spotted the thread. :okay:

The forecast is currently looking ok for Saturday, but it could easily change by the weekend. We will have to keep an eye on it.

I nipped out and did 24 lumpy miles this afternoon and felt fine so I think my dental issues are NOT going to be an issue, unless I forget and start trying to eat tricky things like nuts. My gums are not healed enough for that yet, but they are getting there.
Yes I'd like to do the ride.
I dunno whether I can make it. Business picked up and need to make sure I'm on top of it this week.

doughnut

Veteran
I am in Scotland for the first week of September, and Nickyboy's ride from Leeds to Scarborough is on the 24th but that leaves Sat 17th free (and also Sun 18th). I'll organise something for the 17th with the option of the 18th in case of poor weather.
Not 100% sure that I'm free on 17th Sept (two kids chopping and changing my calendar on a daily basis), but if I am then I'll be up for that.

Nibor

Bewildered
I am not at this level but I am out with Burnley and Pendle CTC on a short ride starting at the same place and time so may see you at the start point have a good ride guys.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am not at this level but I am out with Burnley and Pendle CTC on a short ride starting at the same place and time so may see you at the start point have a good ride guys.
I have noticed other groups meeting there at the same time as our rides so we may have almost bumped into each other in the past.

Latest forecast is for temperatures in the high teens, breezy, dry, and with lots of sunny spells.

*** STOP (DIGITAL) PRESS *** Incoming text ... Ah, Carrie and Kevin will be joining us!

Rider list:
  • ColinJ, with non-CC pals Bill, Carrie and Kevin
  • Sea of vapours from Slaidburn part of the way round.
  • Oldfentiger?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd like to throw my recently arrived Brixton Cycles cap into the ring for this one.

My plan will be to meet you at Slaidburn, then peel off back to Slaidburn on the B6478, which we cross on the way back.

Should still make a decent loop of best part of 40 miles.

Upthread you said Slaidburn by about 11.30am, I reckon you might make it a bit sooner so I shall aim to be in good time.

It appears you will be using the B road through Slaidburn using a staggered junction, turning right then left.

I will be hanging around the B road bit, somewhere near this memorial, which I think is where you will be turning left.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x487b814ba1366f4f:0xd049aaddda43977c?hl=en

It appears you will be using the B road through Slaidburn using a staggered junction, turning right then left.

I will be hanging around the B road bit, somewhere near this memorial, which I think is where you will be turning left.
Good stuff :-)

They won't be coming along the B road from Newton as Colin has a gravel-strewn lane he feels obliged to cycle along, bypassing Newton, which means they'll come down the switchback hill from the direction of Wigglesworth (from where the Streetview view you posted is facing). Handily, there is now a bench to the left of the drinking fountain you can see on Streetview. There are also several benches on the open grassy area by the river, at the bottom of said switchback and about 100m. beyond the view you posted.

Top Bottom