School sports day? What a farce!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Did you start getting these 'ideas' when they changed your prescription? :rolleyes:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Flying_Monkey said:
Here's the other side of the coin being very well demonstrated - what happens to people think sports are more important than learning... :tongue:

You mean like Australians? :thumbsup::ohmy::ohmy:

At my daughters last sports day in 2006 (2007 was flooded out, canoes would have been needed, 2008 cancelled due to weather again) the school followed RR model in his OP more or less. The kids had a ball, shouting and encouraging each other in their team at each station on. At the end all the 'runs' were counted up for each team from each station to give a winner. Competition and cooperation in harmony. More football than the individual success of athletics.
It was the first time the school had tried it that way and I liked it. The kids put in a lot more effort individually and had more exercise than waiting around bored for their 30 seconds of fame on the track. There were a lot of parents winging about it though, mostly from what I overheard that they had to move about the field to see their child at each station rather than sit on their arse in one spot for the afternoon. Whose benefit is the traditional sports day for?

The school is not using the most popular station again though. A bouncy castle assault course due to H&S :laugh:

Noodley

Elder Noodlette has just returned this week with a bronze medal from County Sports, where the 1st and 2nd placed were 'national sports development' athletes.

On getting back onto the bus one of the PE staff asked what she had round her neck..."that's my bronze medal" she replied...."Oh, right"...not surprising that the school came last is it? You'd have thought that if only 7 pupils won a medal the teachers might have noticed!!!

Sums it up really. Schools are not f***ing interested.

On a more positive note it looks like I may be even more limited in my ability to get out on my bike as she wants to go to Athletics club :rain::becool::rofl:

One school the eldest goes to is in the vain of 'oooh, aahh, precious little Jonny', we don't even discuss sports day anymore, instead, as CoG said we rely on other things for competition and as he recently won Managers player of the year I think he's doing OK and understands the principles of competition and winning and losing and taking part.

The other school for younger son has a refreshing A,B,C,D list of teams and fixtures, thereby acknowledging what they all feckin know anyway and giving them a level they can all enjoy and compete in.

yenrod

I done the school sports day & was well up for it came last in the 100mtrs was well dashed off about it - couple of days later came down with a variant of meningitis...

Top Bottom