Schoolboy error?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elvisparsley

I've just bought and installed some brake calipers on my rear wheel, only to find that I can't get the brake blocks to line up with the rim, the arms seem too short to do this, so they're rubbing on the tyre. These are Shimano Tiagra calipers-identical to the previous brakes. Now I'm wondering: are the front and rear different, as there is no indication on the pack to tell me? I just assumed they were the same. Where am I going wrong? Can anyone help?

How much are they out by?

OP
OP
elvisparsley

elvisparsley

A few mm, maybe about 5mm or so, I can't get them clear of the tyre. What do you reckon? it would certainly wear my tyre walls to ride them like this

02GF74

Über Member
elvisparsley said:
I can't get the brake blocks to line up with the rim, the arms seem too short to do this, so they're rubbing on the tyre.

These are Shimano Tiagra calipers-identical to the previous brakes.

Did you have the problem with the previous brakes? If not, then the new ones cannot be identical can they.

You are aware that the arms have slots that allow the blocks to be moved up and down.

I seem to recall there is a difference between the front and back brakes - certainly the mounting bolt is of different length with pissibly a different not. Not sure if the arms are different length since I have never fitted front ones to rear and vice versa.

Post a picture - it does sound like the arms are too short.

Is your wheel seated properly?

elvisparsley said:
A few mm, maybe about 5mm or so, I can't get them clear of the tyre. What do you reckon? it would certainly wear my tyre walls to ride them like this

The old school way of doing it is to get a file ( small and round ) and go at it so you have just enough room to get it to fit and it dose work. I know it will take a bit of time but it is better then going back to the shop and buying more.

jimboalee

Tiagra calipers have a 49mm drop. The front brake has a longer bolt to reach through the fork crown.

Take them back and get a pair with a suitable drop.

OP
OP
elvisparsley

elvisparsley

Thanks folks. Brought em back today and they reckon I need 57mm drop on the rear caliper, so off to but one tomorrow. I'm quite liking the look of the bike with no rear brake mind....

Top Bottom