Schwable Lugano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Hi all, not an in depth review but I purchased a pair of schwable lugano's today in red from start cycles for £20 and I am very impressed, I have a specialized Allez sport and it came with specialized black belt tyres, and I had nothing but punctures and rather poor grip, I then put my conti ultra sports on and in the current wet climate they offered very poor performance in the wet, then tried gator skins and still had the same issue.
having now rode on these schwable's I can safely say they outperform the lot by a rather large margin, they really hold the road in the wet and make me feel much more confident in the corners and stopping power seems to be a huge improvement, the conti's would just feel like they were gliding smoothly across the road in a full rear wheel lock, where as you can hear the schwable's gripping and coming to an instant stop when the brakes are applied, much safer for emergency stops and much better for slowing down in the wet, for £20 I don't think you can go wrong! Especially with the added bonus of being able to colour co-ordinate!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lugano's are OK. I use them on my commuter bike. Agree that for £10 a wheel they're good value.

When you get the chance, try Contintental GP4000S (the 'S' is important!). I use them on the race bike.

Peteaud

Veteran
Lugano's are OK. I use them on my commuter bike. Agree that for £10 a wheel they're good value.

When you get the chance, try Contintental GP4000S (the 'S' is important!). I use them on the race bike.
Why, are they that good. I will be looking for some good summer tyres in a few months time.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
was after a pair of those yesterday originally but they had them at 35 per tyre! or 80 for two with tubes looking online they are alot less, i had a store credit voucher so just wanted to do all my shopping local, and to save postage issues during the christmas period, plus i didnt really know if i should spend that much on a set of tyres for something i just use for leisure on a specialized allez sport which i dont think is anything fancy?

How did you find getting them on/off? Mine were a sod and it came down to blood and tears! Must say though that performance was excellent. They lasted a good 8 months of commuting until the first puncture and I found them grippy even in the wet.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
they went on and off very easy, took them off a few times already, two due to the terrible inner tubes the shop sold me (panasonic tubes) one randomly blew up in the front room about 10 mins after pumping, and the others the valves didnt handle anything over 80psi, it dosent say on them which way to install them rotation wise however

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
ive got mine on specialized axis rims, they seem to fit all my tyres very easily, where as my other 700c wheelset will go through many tyre levers just to get any pair on and off, havent tried them on those wheels yet though

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I get through a set of these per year, roughly, (3,000 miles or so) and find them rather good. Grippy in the wet.

I'm not suffering from punctures, even though my attention slipped and the last rear tyre had almost worn through the rubber altogether before it was replaced!

If one gets badly damaged it's only a tenner to replace. I've seen a lot of stories on here about £30 tyres getting slaughtered on first or second outing which would be a lot more galling.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Er, after saying that on Thursday, a thorn got through on Friday morning and a piece of glass got through this morning. The tyre is part worn (rear) but hasn't lasted very long, all things considered.

Cyclist33

Hi all, not an in depth review but I purchased a pair of schwable lugano's today in red from start cycles for £20 and I am very impressed, I have a specialized Allez sport and it came with specialized black belt tyres, and I had nothing but punctures and rather poor grip, I then put my conti ultra sports on and in the current wet climate they offered very poor performance in the wet, then tried gator skins and still had the same issue.
having now rode on these schwable's I can safely say they outperform the lot by a rather large margin, they really hold the road in the wet and make me feel much more confident in the corners and stopping power seems to be a huge improvement, the conti's would just feel like they were gliding smoothly across the road in a full rear wheel lock, where as you can hear the schwable's gripping and coming to an instant stop when the brakes are applied, much safer for emergency stops and much better for slowing down in the wet, for £20 I don't think you can go wrong! Especially with the added bonus of being able to colour co-ordinate!

If you fancy an upgrade at some point I can heartily recommend the Durano S folding tyre which is good for a season or two pretty much puncture free and really smooth, grippy and nimble.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
had them around a month now, not been out too often a few hundred miles, and both front and rear are full of slits and holes all the way through, ive pulled thorns out of them going all the way through a couple of times and bits of glass also, but i am not sure where the long cracks are coming from in the tyres, they are appearing along the diamond tread. here are just three images, i managed to get 8 images of different slits ect just on the rear tyre alone

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 39

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Those are from road debris, glass etc.. pick out anything in them as this is how I picked up one puncture. I did have a Lugano which had small cracks open up along the "joint" between the black and coloured sections but that was replaced under warranty.

Top Bottom