Schwalbe Marathon racer 16” tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have a new bike with 16” wheels and Marathon Racers on, and have read some comments about difficulties fitting them, particularly when new, so as it’s quiet this morning decided to have a go on the rear wheel, a Brompton, another thing which is difficult too!
It took me about 20 minutes, taking my time, and being careful not to lose anything.

I had to use the levers to get the bead over, for a total of 5 inches or so, then was able to completely remove the tyre and tube.

Refitting, with a Schwalbe AV4 inner tube was not really difficult at all, and I never had to use the levers.
I did inflate the tube, as I normally would, by a few pounds, and with a little shuffling to keep the bead in the wheel ‘v’, managed without issue, nor any painful thumbs. Care is neede still to ensure the bead sets correctly around the wheel, but I’m totally happy that I could do this beside the road.

I’ve decided to ditch the Brompton pump, and fashion my Lezyne somehow, but yet to manage this, as the Lezyne has an adapter tube to allow pump movement whilst inflating.

For anyone with a B who hasn’t yet changed a rear wheel, particularly the 6speed, nor had to fit the chain tensioner, taking pics before dismantling is s great idea, as it could be problematic, but there are vids around to show you. One tip, though, is to refit the tensioner and tighten a little before fitting the chain around the tensioner, as it holds the tensioner onto its correct mounting point (there’s a little cutout, so it can mount in the correct plane).

Last edited:
Top Bottom