Schwalbe Stelvio Rain Raceguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboytaylor

Hi, I know there are several other posts about commuting tyres, but I'm looking for some winter commuters for my road bike, so 700x23s. Most other posts seem to concentrate more on hybrid bikes, etc.

My current Michelin Lithions are great for now but I'm not too confident they'll keep me upright in the wet.

Anyone know anything about these? http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s121p704
The price on this site is pretty good! Other suggestions would also be appreciated (armadillos,gators,etc?).

Cheers!

RedBike

LiIthions great? - Errrrm Right.

If your budget will stretch to them then Conti grand-prix 4 seasons.

Tynan

Veteran
gators?????

I'm going into winter with my 'summer' tyres

Lugano on front and GP4000(?) on rear

locked the rear in a sudden ped moment on Thu and fishtailed for England, suspect any 23 rear with 15st of rider plus bike plus pannier doing 20mph is going to do that

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

RedBike said:
LiIthions great? - Errrrm Right.

If your budget will stretch to them then Conti grand-prix 4 seasons.

Errrrrm well they go round and round, haven't punctured in 6 months of cycling and seem to give me good control (so far) in the dry. That said, they came with the bike (my first "modern" racing bike) so I've not really got anything to compare them with.

I know it sounds dumb, but do you use the Conti 4-seasons all year round?

@ Tynan: cheers for the recommendations - Gators a no-no then (have read other threads and there seem to be as many pro as against them)?

Tynan

Veteran
it seems to be a general rule that bikes come with poor tyres so you might only realise how poor (or not) your tyres are after trying something else

some like some don't but those that don't like gators don;t like them for being very bad in the wet, some, me included find that they cut up badly

I gave my mine away after two weeks of London commuting, apart from repeated flats, I felt the back let go of a wet road in corners twice, horrid feeling both times, never had that with any other tyre ever, that said they were recomended by the chap at Condor cycles when I was having my bike specced

go with a tyre that no-one has a problem with surely?

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

The bike's 2nd hand and was originally built up from frame and parts, so not shop bought with the tyres already on, but yes, since they're all I've known it's possible the scales will fall from my eyes if I try a different set.

Tynan said:
go with a tyre that no-one has a problem with surely?

Does such a thing exist?!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you're riding in the wet, I wouldn't touch Gators. They're hard wearing, roll nice, and are a decent dry weather tyre, but like Tynan, I dislike them in the wet (other people's opinions on that differ).

I've not ridden Stelvio rain, but have ridden the wire on 25C stelvio - decent enough as I recall.

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

Well would you believe it. Not only was it absolutely tipping it down tonight, making it quite a slidey adventure on my current tyres but I got a flat on my front on the way home. Fit my replacement tube and broke the fecking valve!

Luckily I wasn't too far from "On Your Bike" on Tooley St. Bought a new inner there and, checking my tyre, I noticed the cut was quite bad (bit of bottle or something) and the tyre needed replacing. Got talking to the guy about replacement tyres and said I was looking at the Conti GP4000S and 4-Seasons. Guy at the shop tells me a million reasons why they aren't as good as Gators and, I folded and said OK, I'll take a Gator.

I was cold, wet, late, tired and couldn't be bothered with arguing.

Anyways, I found it quite a good ride and really reliable getting home (7 miles of puddles and sheets of rain). This was really handy as the back tyre (Michelin Lithion) was all over the place. At least I could point the front wheel and then wait for the back to step out.

I know, I know, I've probly been done (spesh as I bought a pair :laugh::blush:). So, what should I be buying when the Gators give out?

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

Update: couldn't get the rear Gator on for love nor money. Have a lovely blister on each thumb :eek:

Went back to the shop and they suggested I try a plastic rim tape instead. "Er, I've found them to be worse than useless, I'd rather not", I tell the chap. I also pointed out I'm not too keen on them putting the tyre on for me as I wouldn't be confident I could get it off or back on if I needed.

To be fair, once they'd realised I didn't want the tyre, they swapped it over for a Bontrager Racelite Hardcase quite happily. So, come the weekend I'll have Gator on the front, Bonty on the back.

Top Bottom