schwalbe tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
ok, after yesterday's puncturye rest, I am considering more robust tyres for the commute bike.

schwalbe are recommended but whch model?

Do all their tyres have the pucnture resistant belt?

It is for mountian bike, 26 inch rim, about 2.0 width, can be a tad narrower and knobbly or at the very least semi-slick.

So which ones? (looking on ebay there is a wide choice: land cruiser, hard liner, hurricane sport, mountaineer II..... and I cannot decide).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Marathon +, Word of warning though, some people experience problems getting these on due to their tight fit however I can get mine on without the use of levers. :wacko:

RSV_Ecosse

Schwalbe Stelvio's fitted here. So far finding them to be an excellent tyre choice, using them for commuting and training. Also found them easy to get on the rims with no hassle at all.

Blagged a pair on eBay for a great price.

Recommended. :smile:

Pottsy

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Marathon +, Word of warning though, some people experience problems getting these on due to their tight fit however I can get mine on without the use of levers. :smile:

I didn't have a problem either, but even if you do, it's reassuring that you're very unlikely to have to take them off again for ages as they're very puncture resistant. :angry:

Bodhbh

Guru
If it's the bloody hawthorns on the Ebury way, at first got a puncture about once a week, but either regular marathons and marathon XRs (on the MTB) seemed to knock it on the head completely.

I rode it a few weeks back with schwalbe kojaks (slicks supposed to also have a puncture-proof belt) and got a flat first time like before. At a wild guess tyres from the marathon range have a thicker belt/tougher rubber than soem of the others.

Pottsy

Bodhbh said:
If it's the bloody hawthorns on the Ebury way, at first got a puncture about once a week, but either regular marathons and marathon XRs (on the MTB) seemed to knock it on the head completely.

I rode it a few weeks back with schwalbe kojaks (slicks supposed to also have a puncture-proof belt) and got a flat first time like before. At a wild guess tyres from the marathon range have a thicker belt/tougher rubber than soem of the others.

Yes it's the SmartGuard layer. See pictures here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24544

Bodhbh

Guru
Pottsy said:
Yes it's the SmartGuard layer. See pictures here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24544

Yes that's it. :smile:

Must say I start turning off when I come across tradenames in caps in product descriptions. Just looking at the Schwalbe site now: the marathon plus system is SmartGuard, the marathon XR system is High Density Guard, the marathon extreme system is High Density belt, the regular marathon system is KevlarGuard and Allround Compound, the kojak is RaceGuard, etc.

Tynan

Veteran
got the low end Luganos at not much more than £10 a tyre and they work for me, not puncture proof by any means but it tends to be something substantial that does it, glass/metal

tyres are so much better than they used to be

e-rider

crappy member
as far as fitting is concerned, the rim plays just as much a part as the tyre. some tyres are a pain to fit on one wheel but cause no trouble on another wheel

3tyretrackterry

schwalbe city jets 2 p******es in 18 months 1 front 1 rear bit awkwrd to reseat but can be done also rubber protector inside rear wheel coz of extra weight I also run them as hard as possible tyre pressure wise
HTH

Top Bottom