Schwinn vs Novara

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shawn9319

I am currently riding a "Schwinn Crest Urban Hybrid" It's a pretty heavy bike, 700C tires, about $400. I found a great deal on a new bike which is a Novara Cortona which I can get half off which usually is around $900. I am curious if the Novara Cortona (2016 model discontinued) is better than my Urban Hybrid for longer-distance riding and such. I don't really like the Schwinn as much because of the way it sets, its extremely hard to ride it does not go fast, weighs way too much and im just not certain it will help me riding longer distances (100-200 mile ride). If you would like the specs just follow the links below, thanks very much!

Extra details, i'm tall but already checked both bikes fit me, I weigh under 200 so the weight is okay. I am wanting a bicycle that can ride fast on roads more than dirt. Any answers would help a lot.

LINKS: Hybrid: https://www.amazon.com/schwinn-crest-urban-hybrid-wheels/dp/b001qyfhno?tag=indifash06-20

Cortona: https://www.rei.com/product/888528/novara-cortona-bike-2016

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Cortona certainly looks like it would be lighter and faster bike but your link says no longer available.:sad:

Debade

Über Member
It's hard to provide feedback but I will give it a go.

Your Schwinn is set up as a commuter and/or a touring bike. (Touring bikes have longer frames so your heels will clear the bags and add comfort. Not sure if the Schwinn is a longer frame). While they kept it light with the aluminum frame, all the other bells and whistles (fenders, rack, fat heavy wheels/tires,shocks, etc.) add weight with little benefit for speed.

Having said all of the above, my touring bike has fenders, rack, heavy tires, etc. and I ride 50 miles plus day after day. Not for speed but maximizing comfort. Want to make your Schwinn more like the Navora, remove the fenders and rack. Purchase new lighter wheels and tires that are more streamline (and fit all the components). You'll still be stuck with the shocks which are simply a marketing approach that offer little to no benefit for most people and all on concrete.

The Navora is a quality bike and my SIL has one. The aluminum frame and carbon forks should help with weight. For speed, the tires are big. 700x25 or 28 would be preferred, just like the suggestion for the Schwinn. The wheel/tire change might be the most significant thing you will want to do on both bikes. Otherwise Navora seems to have many features of a bike that will be OK for longer distances. since you are not paying for nor needing to carry the fender, rack, shocks, etc.

So, it appears what Navora has done is provide a reasonably light frame and one you can find on more expensive bikes. And then, added less expensive components to keep the price down. The one feature that you do not need at all is the disc brakes unless you will be riding a lot on wet streets.

Still the key will be bike fit and knowing exactly how/where you plan to ride. (Your Schwinn purchase would suggest you did not know enough at that time and/or things changed). REI and bike stores should be able to help. If they can't, go to a new bike store. It would be wise to take time to read about proper bike fit. Make sure you go for a long test ride and that the shop has the ability to help you with fit. Perhaps the most underestimated need when buying a bike.

Top Bottom