Sciatic pain on one bike but not the others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

I have recently linked my slight sciatic pain to only appear after riding my single speed bike. It doesn't appear when I have cycled either my touring bike or my mountain bike.

What do you reckon the problem could be caused by? These are the things I can think of;

- Saddle: The saddle on the SS is quite narrow and hard, compared to the Brooks on the tourer and a fairly wide/soft saddle on the MTB

- Posture: The tourer and the MTB both have relatively upright postures compared to a much lower down, racing type position on the SS

- Grinding: The SS has a 74" gear so there is plenty of grinding when I am riding it, unlike the other two that both have 27 gears

Both the touring bike and the SS have SPDs so I don't think it's those either.

Any thoughts? Cheers. :tongue:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
well you can test a couple of them easily, try a Brooks on your SS and also try an easier gear. If the pain persists then it's posture....simples

ASC1951

Guru
May be an obvious question, but are all the bikes set up the same? In particular, is the saddle height - to the top of the saddle - the same?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I get twinges when I'm training. A combination of bigger gears and lower bars seem to be the cause. Back exercises help - sit-ups, raising the shoulders from a prone position (whatever that's called), etc.
If you're grinding a lot of the time in a 74" gear then it's too high. I ride 64" and don't get dropped.

Top Bottom