Sciatica.. any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I suffer from sciatica occasionally, and had my first big flare-up for years just a few months back. Funnily enough, cycling helped. There was no pain whilst cycling, but it was excruciating standing up straight again afterwards, and I'd have to walk across the car park into work looking like a half-shut knife until I could slowly straighten up.

In the end it was rest, prescription-strength Ibuprofen, paracetamol and heat that chased it away.

It's awful. Even when you're not moving there's the terrible 'toothache in the leg' pain radiating down as far as your ankles.

Hope your Mum recovers soon, Arch.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
girofan said:
Well Arch, having suffered for a number of years myself, I found that McKenzie excercises and a good firm mattress can help.
A number of people do not realise that a worn out mattress can cause all sorts of sciatica and back ailments!

She's pretty good about the mattress - she likes it to be firm (I nearly said she likes a hard one, but...) Anyway... And she turns it regularly so that she's not sleeping in a dip..

I'll pass on all the suggestions, although it seems she's probably doing most of the right things already. Not sure how she'll react to the collective sympathy of a lot of strangers off the internet!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
I bet its turning the heavy mattress thats done her back in!

Hope she gets well soon.

Who knows! But you can't stop her. No matter how many times I "oh, mother!" at her, she will do things like turn her mattress, or climb on the edge of the bath to hang the bathroom curtains back up. Mothers eh?

I bought her a funny postcard, and some 70% fairtrade chocolate, I hope that'll cheer her up.

Top Bottom