Sciatica, Slipped Discs and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
@ Mik

I feel your pain, brother. Or, more accurately, i have felt it. And echo Paul_L in that it will get better, but in time.

Maybe you should get an MRI scan of your lower back. Then you, and the medical world, will be able to see exactly what and where the problem is.

I was off work 6 weeks, and worked 50% for 4 weeks at the end of 2009, with a couple of prolapsed discs. For the pain and inflammation i used paracetamol and ibuprofen (a lot of). I gradually began to move around a little more each day. Was able to do short (10-15 min rides) after a couple of months of the onset of sciatica. Now, nearly a year later, i'm almost back to normal. Still have a bit of bother - but that's life, i suppose.

Keep taking the painkillers and anti-inflammatories, and try to keep mobile. The MRI i had helped me to understand the problem (there's a pic of my scan in the thread "MRI of sciatica").

Chin up, mik. You'll get better :thumbsup:

mik

Paul and Stephenite what can I say but thanks for the support

I dont like to whine but when you think something you love so much is being taken away at a relatively early age ...well it hurts...

as you rightly say I do feel now like I am on the upward turn..the pain is becoming less constant and I am trying to be as mobile as possible which I wouldnt have thought achievable when I made my initial post

still eating pain killers like toffees but at least I'm getting into bed now and more importantly sleeping....with the help of a couple of beers as well :rolleyes:

booked in for epidural sometime in august and at least I'm beginning to think less and lass about selling the bike and looking more and more forward to the the day when I can throw my leg over it again

once again thanks for your posts...they were very much appriciated

regards

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I slipped three discs at the end of 2008, L2 thru L5.

Two weeks in hospital (in Delhi), then two months off work. Colleague recommended a physio who worked wonders, so much better than the NHS one, and I didn't have to wait two weeks for a session (NHS pretty useless, just doling out diclofenac all the time)

Was back on bike within a few months, but wasn't always easy, had a few relapses etc, but am now a lot better, though still have to be hyper aware of the back

The key is doing the exercises the physio gives you, and doing them all the time. I joined a gym and go three times a week. You really have to work hard at it, but it's worth it, I don't want to have to suffer surgery...

Hockeynut

Über Member
A few years ago, I went on holiday after having a bit ofback pain. Walked around Berlinfor a few days, lots. By the end of the3rd day I couldn't walk more than about 10 steps without agony down my leftleg.

I rested up for a day and we carried on to Frankfurtby ICE. Well, it was even worse by thetime I arrived there. I was basicallylaid up for the 3 days there. On thesecond day I went to the hospital there (which was excellent I must say!) andthey said I'd done my back in (but in more technical terms! lol). But the pain was also down my knee a lot andlower leg/calf in particular.... And itwas excruciating.

When I got back to the UK,I was eventually diagnosed with a slipped disc. This was a few years ago now. Iwent to physio, did the exercises she gave me, and my back slowly startedgetting better.

The knee, they put down to the back problem and all inconjunction with weak gluteus and quads, all leading to ITB Band problems. This in turn causes the knee cap to not bestraight and rub on its back.

Both started getting better, so I thought I'd sortedit. I started slacking off doing my exercises,forgetting, not being bothered.

Next thing you know it's back. :sad: Knee was killing. It was like that for a year or 2 because ofthis cycle I found myself in. Now I'mfinally turning the corner, started doing Pilates, going to the gym and cyclingtoo. Funny thing is, the first Pilatesclass I went to, I recognised a lot of the exercises which the my physio hadgiven me, :smile: hehe

So to me, this quote here is of particular importance.

The key is doing the exercises the physio gives you, and doing them all the time. I joined a gym and go three times a week. You really have to work hard at it, but it's worth it, I don't want to have to suffer surgery...

Keep doing them!

Top Bottom