Sciatica!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was told that in most people the sciatic nerve runs at the side of a muscle called the piriformis muscle in your buttock , some , me included , the nerve runs through it instead of alongside it , if the muscle tenses for any reason it squeezes the sciatic nerve, i was told this by my physio who gave me an exercise to do using a golf ball and a hard surface, similar to the link below.
I am not suggesting you do this without being told by a medical professional but i got some relief from the pain using it. and yes it hurts to do it but its a good hurt if you know what i mean.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCMzPJa8eY

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I have found the times I have suffered with Sciatica that going back to lifting weights and doing squats sorts me out-I don't know why but it does. I don't suffer with debilitating pain just numb lower back and glute discomfort.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have found the times I have suffered with Sciatica that going back to lifting weights and doing squats sorts me out-I don't know why but it does. I don't suffer with debilitating pain just numb lower back and glute discomfort.
I think it is the concept of doing something that you are experienced, comfortable and strong at. Gets your back moving, but in your case, doesn't put anything under strain. If you dont' do weights and squats normally, sounds like a bad idea.

For me, hunched over a set of drop handlebars peddling furiously on the flat, or out of the saddle dancing up a hill is where I have spent a good chunk of the last 10 years of my life. Which is probably why when the pain was at its worst, this was the only thing which gave me any relief.

vickster

Legendary Member
I couldn’t even step off a kerb without agony when I had it before the surgery. No way I could have got a leg over a bike even if I’d been a regular cyclist back then (I wasn’t)

acuna_read

Go and get a referral (some local authorities allow you to self refer now) or see a private physio as others have mentioned. Everybody is different but as a general rule exercise is the way forward, consult a physio (NHS or private) for this though. Depending on pain levels try and get moving and remember pain doesn't always mean damage. Just had a quick look and found this which is a good guide, but as said definitely consult a physio. https://www.southtees.nhs.uk/content/uploads/ST1112-Sciatica-Booklet.pdf

Hope the pain gets better soon

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think many NHS physios are doing much F-F / hands on if anything (other than in patients/post op).
You really need someone to actually examine you if at all possible, so private is probably the way to go (if you've not seen someone before, you may have to do a virtual Zoom type consult first, but certainly request face to face)

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

Thank you all so much. Great help there. I did my first ride this afternoon; 4 mile loop from home using low gears and a steady pace. No after effects. Bit more tomorrow hopefully.

GlamorganGuy

I've had two bouts of this and agree it is excruciating and extremely debilitating. The thing that helped ease it for me was a Youtube video demonstrating this exercise - sit upright in a chair and fold one leg so your foot is resting on the other knee. Push down gently on the knee of the bent leg (i.e. the leg whose foot is resting on your knee). Do this gently a few times, alternating legs. Don't force it and stop if the pain increases. Really hope you get better soon.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've had two bouts of this and agree it is excruciating and extremely debilitating. The thing that helped ease it for me was a Youtube video demonstrating this exercise - sit upright in a chair and fold one leg so your foot is resting on the other knee. Push down gently on the knee of the bent leg (i.e. the leg whose foot is resting on your knee). Do this gently a few times, alternating legs. Don't force it and stop if the pain increases. Really hope you get better soon.

This is a bit like a yoga move which we recommend for relieving sciatica.

The nerve runs through the sciatic joint on the back of the sacrum.

Anything that compresses or narrows this area will have a tendency to cause sciatica.

Sitting for long periods on bad chairs, and driving are key culprits.

As is stamping down on something like a digging spade.

Also walking with your feet turned out at ten to two, can narrow that area of the lower back.

It can be alleviated with exercises, but professional show and tell us best.

Tricky just now, but definitely worth seeking help when you can.

steven1988

Veteran
Yep, every day at the minute, i should have had a discectomy in May that was cancelled and is still waiting to be rearranged. Ironically due to how the disc is pressing on my spinal cord the only time i'm not in pain is when i am on the bike.

Hopefully the surgery will sort it

Venod

Eh up
A bit late to this thread, but I had a bout of Sciatica last year, could hardly get out off bed, off the bike for a month, normal over the counter painkillers had no effect, so got some Cocodamol on prescription which did ease things a bit but the constipation side effects are terrible.
I had a session at a chiropractor for a bit of manipulation, he thought it would clear up quickly post manipulation and said the pain in my shins would be the last to go, he was right.
In an attempt not to replicate the condition I do daily sciatica specific stretching, prior to doing the stretching after a long ride I sometimes had back pain and found it hard to straigten up, that has now dissapeared, so a bonus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom