SciTech saved my hard drive!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes indeed, that one at the top o' the page. I don't spend nearly as much time there as here, but I do pop in whenever I have a techy problem, and the advice I got there just saved a 300Gb hard drive packed with music that I would otherwise, I think, have just binned.

And yes I know there's not exactly a shortage of techy sites on the web, but I tend to find them a bit....techy. SciTech seems to have several people who resemble people. They talk English 'n that. Just thought I'd mention it. In case you ever find yourself looking at it after you've turned it off & turned it on again and it still won't play nice.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you lose much, if any of what was on it?

xzenonuk

Veteran
what was wrong with it? if i find google does not lead me in the right direction for a hardware or software fault ill make a rare post on ocuk asking for advice, usually google and my acquired experience can diagnose any thing pc related.

im very curious as to what went wrong with your drive? i have a pile of knackered drives here, im thinking of taking them apart just for the stupidly strong magnets they have then binning them, all old ide drives and about 1 sata one :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes indeed, that one at the top o' the page. I don't spend nearly as much time there as here, but I do pop in whenever I have a techy problem, and the advice I got there just saved a 300Gb hard drive packed with music that I would otherwise, I think, have just binned.

And yes I know there's not exactly a shortage of techy sites on the web, but I tend to find them a bit....techy. SciTech seems to have several people who resemble people. They talk English 'n that. Just thought I'd mention it. In case you ever find yourself looking at it after you've turned it off & turned it on again and it still won't play nice.
We're not all bad over there.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
what was wrong with it? if i find google does not lead me in the right direction for a hardware or software fault ill make a rare post on ocuk asking for advice, usually google and my acquired experience can diagnose any thing pc related.

im very curious as to what went wrong with your drive? i have a pile of knackered drives here, im thinking of taking them apart just for the stupidly strong magnets they have then binning them, all old ide drives and about 1 sata one :smile:
I don't know what was actually wrong with it, tho' this might tell you more than it told me:
fault.jpg

But following advice and a link provided, I discovered the joys of chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f - repair and fix respectively - and running both seems to have done the trick. As to whether I've lost stuff, it's too early to tell, but so far I've managed to retrieve 10Gb without problems, so that's encouraging. Oh, and yes - I'll be backing up as fast as my tippy toes can take me.

U

User6179

I don't know what was actually wrong with it, tho' this might tell you more than it told me:
View attachment 78437

But following advice and a link provided, I discovered the joys of chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f - repair and fix respectively - and running both seems to have done the trick. As to whether I've lost stuff, it's too early to tell, but so far I've managed to retrieve 10Gb without problems, so that's encouraging. Oh, and yes - I'll be backing up as fast as my tippy toes can take me.

Seems your file record segment is unreadable :biggrin:

drummerbod

No backup?

A long time ago I had a 60GB Hitachi Deathstar that had failed and it had all my family videos on it. I had no backup. My first HD failure.

I recovered all of it by putting the HD in the freezer overnight (double bagged) and then plugged it in and recover about 6GB a time. Did that a few times and got all the data back.

After that - BACKUP!!!! Only burned once.

That is only effective for mechanical failures ie bearing wear. The cold effectively tightens up the tolerances of the metal.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
You need to transfer the stuff to a new drive.

Assuming that was wear and tear, the debris inside will expand/rub off onto other areas resulting in ever increasing data loss.

Top Bottom