Scooters, recommendations please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
1600 miles in the first 3-1/2 years, then 200-250 miles a year since. Two owners, most recent a 60+ female nurse who has been using it to get to work. Getting too heavy for her so she’s hanging up her crash helmet. She takes it for servicing and they tell her it doesn't need doing, just an oil change will suffice. Note MOT runs out in June 2020.

I'm very tempted but logistics a bit of a nightmare with lockdown and house move.

It's not as if they don't come up for sale regularly so no panic. I've re-read your opening post & IMO a Burgman 400 is overkill for what you say you are going to use it for, higher tax, insurance, mpg and for no appreciable gain.

As another poster suggested, an Xmax 250 would be better if you don't want to drop to 125cc.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Took the bull by the horns and did something I’d never done before and bought it unseen. Suzuki Burgman 400, 2006, 3600 miles. Very short MOT. Current 62 yo lady owner, NHS nurse, one previous owner.

Made her an offer of £1900 and she accepted. Bit of a gamble on my behalf, but a small one, I think.

Issue is how do I collect it and get it to Dorset. There’s no hurry, and I’m tempted to use a bike delivery service, costs around £100.

Rather pleased with myself!

Cavalol

Guru
Don't know where you're based, but there's a company in Suffolk called Tunstall's. They moved a bike for me from Norwich (to Cheshire) at a very fair price, and they're a professional outfit.
Like most recovery type businesses, they seem to do work cheap if it's a 'back load' or they're heading from your area to somewhere else.

Anyhow: James 07848 990767 is the contact I have for them.

Avoid a web site called U-ship by the way, got ripped off by some clown on there and U-ship weren't remotely interested in helping. There are rumours of expensive motors disappearing from Shipley arranged transport too, I suppose you'll never stop it happening but I ask the vendor to take pictures of the vehicles being loaded and trying to get a photo of the driver too, 'jut in case'.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Took the bull by the horns and did something I’d never done before and bought it unseen. Suzuki Burgman 400, 2006, 3600 miles. Very short MOT. Current 62 yo lady owner, NHS nurse, one previous owner.

Made her an offer of £1900 and she accepted. Bit of a gamble on my behalf, but a small one, I think.

Issue is how do I collect it and get it to Dorset. There’s no hurry, and I’m tempted to use a bike delivery service, costs around £100.

Rather pleased with myself! View attachment 517762
beautiful machine. brings back memories of when I had mine. I wish you many years of happy scootering. :hello:

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Burgman delivered yesterday!

Unable to collect it, seller agreed to store it for me for a few weeks until I could arrange a courier. We were moving house and the removal company picked it and delivered with all our belongings yesterday.

Very pleased with it, mint condition, looks like new. Documents, handbook and two keys. Lovely woman seller included a bike cover, heavy duty lock and a crash helmet, so I’m good to go. Considering I bought unseen, have to say I’m thrilled. Need to get the New house straight, then I’m out for a play.

Top Bottom