Scoreline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Considering it was a team of players that hadn't played muach together (save a few of course) we did better than I expected.
Still edgey at times......gave the ball away lots....passed too early a lot as well.
2-1 is better than a poke in the eye though.:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
mr_hippo said:
4 am here in Bangkok, up early watching the match - why? 45 minutes of boredom, punctuated by flashes of tedium. If this is the best that Signor Crapola can do then it's "Arrivederci". It's like watching a movie hoping that it gets better but as the final credits roll, it didn't!

We want results, not break-neck speed gameplay, you can get all the high tempo stuff in the premiership every week. Internationals cannot be played in the English way, that is why they got a Johnny Foreigner in to do the job innit.

Renard

I made a discovery tonight. Do you know how to make watching an international friendly interesting?

Watch it while you are on the turbo!

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I'm not watching yet but I shall be switching on for the second half - I bet it's 0-0 when I switch over, and the commentators are moaning.

The Swiss will score late on. 0-1 final score.

Very good Noodley, can you tell us what the lottery numbers won't be for the weekend? :smile:

Abitrary

domtyler said:
We want results, not break-neck speed gameplay, you can get all the high tempo stuff in the premiership every week. Internationals cannot be played in the English way, that is why they got a Johnny Foreigner in to do the job innit.

Exactly. I actually feel more excited when they slow down, and make an effort to keep the ball. It felt a bit more joined up tonight, the passing more considered and accurate, though. If they can combine that with the killer final push for goal, then it will be formidable.

Until then, teams like switzerland and croatia will take the piss.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Reasonable first effort.

England have never been successful in summer tournaments because the high-tempo game played in the league cannot be sustained when the temperatue is often at 90 degrees. Remember, Ramsey's England were described as boring, but they played a slower passing game and it payed off.

Keith Oates

Janner
Fab Foodie said:
Seems this new Italian manager chap is leading from the front....he's taking English Lessons...he's hoping the squad will do likewise...

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Well he's got 100% record so far, keeping it may be a little more difficult but let's wait and see. Agree about the 100 mph game comments, Liverpool, under the great Shanks, were masters at building up slowly and calmly from the back and finishing in a flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
domtyler said:
We want results..

Don't we always get a result at the end of a match? A result is either a win, a loss or a draw.

domtyler said:
Internationals cannot be played in the English way, that is why they got a Johnny Foreigner in to do the job innit.

Why should we adapt our successful style of play and try to play like Johnny Foreigner? Take the bull by the horns and let them try to play our way.

Let's get back to basics.
Players: If you do not hear the referee's whistle then keep on playing; do not stop and raise your hand if you think that you deserve a free kick. The object of the game is simple - to put the round bouncy thingy in your opponent's onion bag. You have no chance of scoring if you keep passing the ball to your keeper - get in into their goal area (you have a better chance of scoring when it is there). Never pass across your own goal area. If you are a 'one-footed' player, practice with your 'bad' foot, OK: you will still have one leg weaker than the other but there will no farting about to get the ball onto your 'good' side.

Signor Crapola: Do not just look at the Premiership for a goalkeeper try other divisions but if you still want to employ a clown in goal contact Billy Smart's or Gerry Cottle's; they have better clowns than Calamity James. Do not chop and change your squad, if you want to try out other players than do so in friendlies. Think about changing your formation but only try it out in friendlies to start with; try the old 5-3-2 and really confuse Johnny Foreigner!

mondobongo

Über Member
Whats with the Signor Crapola? Give the man a chance, for the first time in years we have someone with a proven pedigree. Don Fabio is starting with the basics ie it is an honour to play for your country hence the rules and the hardline stance with Beckham. For 40 minutes tonight they could not pass the ball this will be taught at the next training session. It is going to take a while to knock em back to earth and get rid of the Prima Donna attitude.
With a little time Capello will knock and beat them into shape and we just might stand a realistic chance of winning something or at least winning a penalty shoot out in the semis.
One of the most memorable games I have ever seen was Liverpool v AS Roma in the last 30 mins Liverpool could not break out of our own half as we suffered an onslaught from Roma the Manager sitting calmly in the dugout Fabio Capello.
There was no English option Martin O'Neil is Irish and had already been snubbed hence the FA appointing Don Fabio give him time as I have said.
If you don't want him we will take him at Liverpool if these clowns of American owners sack Rafa Benitez.

Top Bottom