Scotland mini-tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf616

Über Member
I'm relatively new to cycling, having only bought a (cheap) road bike at the end of May. Since then I've become incredibly addicted, however, and now cycle everywhere (oh the joys of no longer using the Tube).

I've got loads of leave to use and was thinking of taking a week or so off in early September to go and cycle in Scotland. There are two reasons for this: the first is I might meet a friend at the start of the week to do some light hiking, the second is that I have other friends who live just south of the Cairngorms who I could stay with at the end of the week and rest my weary legs.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm quite tempted to try and devise a route from somewhere near Inverness, down through the Cairngorms and then stop with these friends before heading down to Dundee and getting the train home. Whilst the distance isn't too far (maybe 30 miles a day or so), I'm a little worried that the hills in the Cairngorms will kill me. Has anyone had much experience road cycling there and, if so, offer any useful information?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome from Glasgow!
For swift answers re routes and hilliness pop into the Irn Bru thread in the cafe, the local racing snakes all hang about in there :hello:

snorri

Legendary Member
Some random thoughts.
I don't know if your main aim is to simply cover the miles or to take a look at places of interest.
You mention the Tube so I assume you are London based. .
Depart Euston at 21.15 on the sleeper to Inverness (6 days a week), next morning arrive Inverness around 08.45. Make sure you book a space for your bike as well as a berth or seat for yourself on the train. https://www.sleeper.scot/
You could spend one day or more doing circular routes in the Inverness area without including any serious climbing, there are several options.
Take a look at the Sustrans website and look for NCN 7 which runs from Inverness to Pitlochry and runs roughly parallel to the Inverness Perth A9 road.
It is a bit of a climb up from Inverness, over the Slochd and on to Aviemore, or Kingussie for an overnight stop.
You don't need to worry about the Cairn Gorms, the NCN route goes through rather than over the top of the major hills.
Then southward from Aviemore or Kingussie, again a long and steady climb to Drumochter summit, then downhill to Pitlochry which has various accommodation and eatery options.
Next day to Dunkeld on NCN. I don't know the road from Dunkeld to Dundee, but Dunkeld to Perth is a pleasant trip on quiet roads.
You can also get a train from Perth to the deep south.
You might consider exploring the area west of the A9 by taking a right off the NCN7 (north of Calvine) signposted Trinafour. Hilly but good scenery around Loch Tummel, Aberfeldy, Loch Tay returning to NCN 7 at Pitlochry, Logierait or Dunkeld.

oldstrath

Über Member
Although the NCN 7 route from aviemore to Pitlochry is a pretty gentle gradient, you should also be aware it's badly surfaced much of the way. It is rideable on a road bike with 28mm tyres, but it's not the most comfortable. Stunning scenery though.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Thanks for the tips guys. Weirdly the Scotland thing has fallen through and now I am probably headed to Wales instead. The hill-fears remain as it is around the Brecon Beacons. Bike Hub has sufficiently terrified me with some of the hills to spend ages finding alternate routes!

Top Bottom