Scotland's History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Kirstie said:
Yes its a very good series but I've had neil oliver overload recently. As these kind of OU doc presenters go I prefer the scots geologist, works at Glasgow Uni...I think his name is Iain Stewart...

:angry: the one who uses Mars bars to explain tectonics?

T

Telemark said:
:angry: the one who uses Mars bars to explain tectonics?

T

Does he? Not seen that one. I just like him because he's got bags of enthusiasm.

Many years ago........

At a parents evening, I was praised for an essay on the Stone of Scone....

It was then explained to my Mother that whilst the essay was good - they taught English History and that the Stone had not been "stolen from the Scots by the thieving English" and tat it was not " a fake because a canny scot had in fact given the English a Hearth Stone and passed it off as the real thing thus invalidating the Coronation of every Monarch since!"

solmisation

Telemark said:
:ohmy: the one who uses Mars bars to explain tectonics?

T

"New Zealand has many earthquakes because it straddles the boundary between two of the earth's great tectonic plates - the Pacific Plate in the east and the Australian Plate in the west. These two plates are conviging obliquely at about 40 mm/year in Fiordland and at about 50 mm/year at East Cape. While these rates are rather small, comparable to the rate your fingernails grow, the plates are about 100km thick, so a large volume of rock is deformed as the plates collide. This rock can deform in two ways: either through straining elastically and eventually fracturing, which produces earthquakes, or by flowing. This situation is analogus to pushing the two ends of a Mars bar together. While the brittle chocolate layer deforms by fracturing in tiny earthquakes, the caramel interior deforms by flowing."

Next week he will explain the "Mohorovicic Discontinuity" using a Jaffa cake.;)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
solmisation said:
Next week he will explain the "Mohorovicic Discontinuity" using a Jaffa cake.;)

Next week? Is the series being repeated? Where & When? :ohmy:
If only they tought science like this in schools there would be no shortage of science students ...

T

Top Bottom