Scotland's History

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone else been watching this series on BBC (I assume it is just in Scotland!). I think this is the second series.

Absolutely brilliant TV. Neil Oliver does an amazing job of bringing history to life, and having been pretty poor at history at school, I am learning a great deal about the history of not only Scotland, but the British isles and even the USA (last week).

Even my wife who is English really enjoys it! :smile:

Well done BBC Scotland!! :biggrin:

Jane Smart

The Queen
Oh Neil Oliver, what an absolute hunk of a guy he is:tongue:

Oh yes I have been watching it, if only for him :biggrin:

Mange-tout

Yes, loving the series too. Neil Oliver always makes an interesting programme.

I was also useless at history at school and until a couple of years ago very ignorant of British history - in fact, we never covered British history in school as far as I can remember :biggrin: and Henry 8th, Mary Queen of Scots, Cromwell, Nelson and the 'Gunpowder Plot' were just names or phrases I'd heard - couldn't tell you anything more about them!

My husband bought the biography of Mary Queen of Scots whilst browsing a second hand bookshop in New York of all places - something to read on holiday. I read it after he did and have since become hooked on historical biographies, and learning about British history - Antonia Fraser's biographies are so easy to read. Glad to have found a fellow convert :smile:.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I don't know much about Scotland's history, but for some reason Google are celebrating St Andrew's Day with a picture of Colditz. :biggrin:

standrewsday09-hp.gif

Globalti

Legendary Member
History was so badly taught at school. I remember a teacher writing a list of dates on the board and telling us to copy them down and learn them by next week. I gave history up as soon as I could and now regret it as it is presented in so much more interesting ways nowadays.

Actually if I had my time again I would study geology - a fascinating science and so important to the way we live.

rh100

I watched a bit of it - the one about the protestant church.

Neil Oliver is OK as a presenter - he seems to do a lot of the OU stuff - I'd rather see Alice Roberts instead :smile:

marooncat

I can not stand Neil Oliver and that makes the programme unwatchable to me ;).

BF watches it and thinks Neil Oilver is a great presenter, should I be worried :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Being a bloke I hadn't even considered the possibility that the presenter might be 'appealing' to the ladies. I just like the programme. It was pretty cool last night when he got to hold Mary Queen of Scots cross and Rob Roys Sgian Dubh (although no unsheathing! :biggrin:)

Top Bottom