Amazing Woman - furthest unsupported solo polar ski expedition in history

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What an amazing individual. Remarkable feat in a treacherous part of the World. Body and mind at its best.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Amazing, yet gutted she didn’t make it to the end.
Does anyone know what the time limit was for? Was it just the time the Army had given her off. You would think they might have extended it for a couple of days.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting to see they refer to a small towed sled as a "pulk". That makes it only the second Finnish loan word that I know of (after sauna) to make it into English (the Finnish word is "pulkka")

An amazing bit of endurance, even if I am rather sniffy about using the Antarctic as a playground.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Amazing, yet gutted she didn’t make it to the end.
Does anyone know what the time limit was for? Was it just the time the Army had given her off. You would think they might have extended it for a couple of days.

yes I wondered that reading about a week or so ago (less annoying ads on this link..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64348510

but it probably not a simple as add on a couple of days leave - logistics of getting home will be via a scheduled supply ship / flight and also I assume that she carried food supplies for a certain period of time also, so having planned 75 day expedition, there is a limit as to how you can stretch that out

Interesting to see they refer to a small towed sled as a "pulk". That makes it only the second Finnish loan word that I know of (after sauna) to make it into English (the Finnish word is "pulkka")

An amazing bit of endurance, even if I am rather sniffy about using the Antarctic as a playground.

In bushcrafting circles, the pukko style of knife is popular and well known, thanks to our popular bushcrafting tv personality.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-64455412

BBC update which ties in with post 1, last week she had gone past the female record, and by she finished she'd taken overall record too

quite a sad footnote to the previous holder...
Capt Chandi, 33, exceeded the previous world record of 907 miles (1,459.8km), set by Henry Worsley, a retired Lieutenant Colonel, in 2015.
He was picked up from the ice 126 miles (202km) short of completing a crossing of Antarctica and, following illness, lost his life in hospital in Chile.

Top Bottom