Scotland's National Transport Strategy - Consultation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
(not just for Scottish residents!)

You can complete the consultation mentioned below via https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/have-your-say-put-cycling-heart-scottish-transport

From the CyclingUK site:
The Scottish Government's National Transport Strategy (NTS2) will set the agenda for Scottish transport for the next 20 years.

By 2040 the transport sector must be well on the way to full decarbonisation, so that we meet our new climate targets. This means that the way we move from A to B will be very different to what it is now, using sustainable forms of transport. Enabling more people to cycle is a key solution to meeting this huge challenge so the NTS2 must show what Government plans to do to make this happen.

Cycling needs a huge boost in Scotland but unfortunately the draft NTS2 doesn’t suggest that Government is serious about the radical change needed.

Government are asking people to have their say on the draft Strategy but it’s a long and complicated document. To help you we have designed a simple online form which you can use to tell Government what will make cycling better, safer and easier for you.

The online form is easy to use and creates a personalised and unique response, which you can edit. The more detailed and personal your response is, the more effective it will be.

Help us seize this opportunity to get cycling up the agenda in Scotland. Have your say before the deadline of 23 October.

Slick

Guru
(not just for Scottish residents!)

You can complete the consultation mentioned below via https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/have-your-say-put-cycling-heart-scottish-transport

From the CyclingUK site:
Done.

snorri

Legendary Member
https://www.transport.gov.scot/medi...strategy-draft-for-consultation-july-2019.pdf

In my response I have challenged the claim in the Strategy(page 12) that 'roads are getting safer', this is misleading at best, if not plain wrong!
"Scotland’s roads are getting safer. In 2018, total reported road casualties fell by 11% compared to 2017; at around 8,400 casualties, these levels are at their lowest since annual records began in 1950."

No mention is made of the numbers of vulnerable road users now compared with 1950. If vulnerable road users ie walkers and cyclists, remove themselves voluntarily from some roads, as they have done, in order to avoid the increasing dangers imposed by motorised vehicles then road safety stats. are bound to improve!

Also, on page 11 re funding.
"Active travel delivery. Funding has doubled"
It has to be pointed out that doubling a tiny fraction of the overall transport budget will still not result in an inadequate level of funding.

Drago

Legendary Member
Done.

My answers were:

Prioritise cycling and walking on any new or updated infrastructure planning, and make the requirement legally binding.

Punitive workplace and public parking charges, and urban area car-use "congestion" typecharging to discourage car use.

Make the car as difficult, expensive and inconvenient as possible to use, as that's the only way you'll stop people using them, and thus make the roads a quieter, safer and more pleasant environment for cyclists.

And to avoid any recriminations I gave my name as Accy.

Top Bottom