Scott AFD Expert - gearing revamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once this dratted Covid slings its hook, I'll be setting about fitting the shiny new Sora mechs that have just arrived. But what to do re gearing? Shall I leave as-is as an 8-speed? Or should I move it it to 9 and experiment with getting the LH ST-EF65 shifter to work with the new front mech?
If that was a go, then I have a full set of parts to convert to V-brake on the Pine Mountain. Then again, maybe I should give the 9-speed kit to the PM, it will certainly work on that...Then again, the PM doesn't need any lower gears, and the Scott does.
Choice made.

Just to hack me off some more, my 'workspace' outside the flat is now cluttered with scaffolding for the next month...
:sad:

Ok, a small conundrum. Idly messing with the still-boxed Sora mechs, and in the FD box were these two little metal plates, with stickies on the back:
20220926_194122.jpg

20220926_194111.jpg

One is curved, one flat. Cannot find any reference to them anywhere.
Please enlighten me!
^_^

Did you ever work out what these are ?
Nope, not a clue!

Ok, made a start.
image.jpeg

Wheels off.

image.jpeg

Drivetrain off

image.jpeg

Bars and stem off.

image.jpeg

Everything off bar rear brake, which did eventually get removed.

image.jpeg

Trying to get headset and fork off. Took much wanging with the rubber mallet. Found, cleaned and regreased bearing races, much smoother now. However, I think a new headset next year.

image.jpeg

Finished for today. Rolling frame, bars and stem fitted and preloaded both bearing-wise and shifter-wise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Ok, a small conundrum. Idly messing with the still-boxed Sora mechs, and in the FD box were these two little metal plates, with stickies on the back:
View attachment 662498

View attachment 662499
One is curved, one flat. Cannot find any reference to them anywhere.
Please enlighten me!
^_^

Those plates are used behind the front derailleur where the derailleur stabilising screw meets the frame. If you have a braze on front mech you may need to use it unless the screw actually contacts the braze on mount plate. if the frame is curved then use the curved one - if it is flat use the flat one. If you don't use it and the screw doesn't contact the mount then it will wear into yuor frame - the first couple of mins of this videa might help explain better than me

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_EU4cccW4

Those plates are used behind the front derailleur where the derailleur stabilising screw meets the frame. If you have a braze on front mech you may need to use it unless the screw actually contacts the braze on mount plate. if the frame is curved then use the curved one - if it is flat use the flat one. If you don't use it and the screw doesn't contact the mount then it will wear into yuor frame - the first couple of mins of this videa might help explain better than me

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_EU4cccW4

Aha! And although mine's a MUCH older FD, it has this feature. Muchas gracias!

Today looking great for the rebuild. All parts to hand. So I might just have time for a quick ride on it later. Now that I have op dates, I need to get in as many miles as I can, both for fitness and sanity. That target in the ticker below is well out of the window now, but I'll attempt to make a bit of a dent in the next month.
Space still cluttered with scaffolding...

Chainset stripped, cleaned, new inner 28t ring fitted.
IMG_0053.JPG

Re-assembled and tested. Rear mech all good and shifting well, took about 10 minutes to dial it in. Front mech - a whole 'nother thang. I am now convinced as to the non-compatibility between Shimano road and MTB front mechs.
IMG_0054.JPG

So, back to the mis-matched cockpit, with ST-EF65-9 RH shifter, and ST-R221 Sora LH. Both fortunately have the same 4-finger, all-brakes compatible lever, so the majority of the mismatch is just colour.
IMG_0055.JPG

No time for a test ride because a) it took me too long, and b) too much pain.

Probably cleaner than it's ever been since I got it - 2017.

Oh, and those little mech plates for the front? Screw's too short even with them fitted, so the feature is redundant on this frame.

Final job is to refit the head badge, once I've cleaned off all the remaining gunk from the headtube.

Top Bottom