Scottish football is more entertaining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
I was in Scotland for Xmas, and during visits to the local pub watched some Scottish football. Having more or less lost interest in the synthetic English variety with its computer-generated players, I must say I found this much more interesting. Constant attacking, erratic goalkeepers in the good old Alan Rough tradition, and a striker with the outstanding handle "Vennegoord of Hesselink" - all spelt out on the back of his shirt, too :smile:

Mind you, Rangers are rather dour and jammy gets, aren't they? And half their players are ostriches.

Noodley

You obviously were not at the Forfar Athletic v Dumbarton game. :smile:
Although a magnificent 3-1 victory to Forfar made it worthwhile.

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Ah, Forfar...

"East Fife visited Station Park during the 1963-64 campaign in the old Scottish Second Division and scored four. However, their hosts still won, the final score being... Forfar 5, East Fife 4".

So the dream result has really happened the once :smile:

Noodley

NickM said:
Ah, Forfar...

"East Fife visited Station Park during the 1963-64 campaign in the old Scottish Second Division and scored four. However, their hosts still won, the final score being... Forfar 5, East Fife 4".

So the dream result has really happened the once :biggrin:

It has. And my dad was there. :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Whilst I may not be in a position to dissagree, I think the Spurs v Reading 10 goal match last saturday might of been a bit of a thriller. Theres a dodgy keeper there too.
I do agree though that many times the English game is becoming, at times a little bit predictable, The big four are always there, as are Rangers and Celtic across the border. I myself support my local team in league two, the old division 4, maybe you should drop down a division or two, the teams here take it more for sports worth than a business.

greenmark

Guru
And of course there was that time when Caledonian Thistle thumped Airdrie which prompted the headline:
"Super Callie Fabulistic, Airdrie Are Atrocious!"

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Paulus said:
...maybe you should drop down a division or two...
Oh, I agree that Divisions Two, Three and Four (in old money) are where the real football is now played in England - I am, for my sins, a follower of Norwich since my teens - but they receive little exposure compared with the overpaid primadonnas of the "Premiership".

And Scottish football just seemed so exotic by comparison. I mean, who even knows where Stenhousemuir is?

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
greenmark said:
And of course there was that time when Caledonian Thistle thumped Airdrie which prompted the headline:
Hmm, I thought it was "Super Cally are fantastic, Celtic are atrocious" - Inverness Caledonian Thistle having moved up in the world these days? They are the team I would like to see more of, given that I was staying in the Highlands... and what a name :biggrin:

Mind you, it's a bloody long way by train from London :smile:

Noodley

greenmark said:

Almost. It was Caley versus Celtic with Caley winning 3-1: "Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious".

One of my mates was playing for Caley that night - in fact I think he scored and may even have been captain at the time. I remember his big ugly coupon in the 'papers.

Saddle bum

Über Member
The perceived wisdom in the eletricity supply industry is that the time the Scots footie results are announced on TV gives rise to the greatest surge in demand as the whole of England gets up to put the kettle on.

walker

the whole football saga is getting a little mundane these days, gone are the days when it used to be a sport and now seems to turn into a business.

mangaman

Hey NickM I'm a Norwich fan

No wonder you're disillusioned by the English game at the moment!
Still - Glen's turning things round

A few signings this January and we'll be flying up towards the dizzy heights of mid-table

Top Bottom