Scr 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIGSESAL

Hey guys,

Today I saw a Giant SCR4 (2008 model) for £350. I have been looking for an entry level racer and this one looked quite good.

I am wondering if this bike would be durable and last me a long length of time? Is this a good model for a young person to start up with? Also is this a good price to pay for this bike?

Thanks,

Scott

Young Un

with giant you rarely get any discount on the bike itself so tehy will alwa ys be 350. when i went into the lbs to look at giants they said that if they took money off the bike then they could loose their giant status.

Phixion

The SCR4 is entry level, but Giant are a good brand.

What you have to look at is frame quality and components, the SCR4 will most likely have a mix of Shimano 2200 and Shimano Sora parts whereas higher models will have better components.

I'm really unsure when it comes to frame quality, I guess the more expensive bikes have higher quality/lighter frames.

Really though, for a starter bike you can't go wrong - you will come to find whether you like biking or not without wasting too much money and you'll discover what you like and dislike in preporation for you next, more expensive bike.

Edit: I've heard good things about Edinburgh Bicycle Coop: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...kID=2912&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002912

Their revolution range are quite popular.

RedBike

I am wondering if this bike would be durable and last me a long length of time?
The tyres and the pedals are awefull and ideally need changing before you even leave the shop. The wheels aren't the strongest but they're typical of what you'll get on a budget racer; and if you want to really nick pick, white bar tape will probably only last about a week before it will look mucky and require changing.

Is this a good model for a young person to start up with?
It depends on what he wants it for. The SCR isn't an out and out race bike. The position is somewhat upright and most parts have been selected with comfort in mind instead of speed.

Also is this a good price to pay for this bike?
£350, thats what most stores will have the bike at. If you wait a month or two they will fall in price as next years model is released

My suggestion would be ribbles winter training bike at £400
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp
I know it's more money but it's a heck of a lot better. Tiagra instead of that crap 2200 groupset, Good quallity carbon forks, a high quality hand-built wheelset.

Top Bottom