SCR4 - Gear Change Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo81

Having recently made the decision to get back into cycling properly, I have subsequently purchased a Giant SCR 4 which I am extremely pleased with, apart from one thing.

Having messed around with the gears to find out whats what I don't seem to be able to change up and down through the gears. The flick buds that I have are more than adequate for my needs, they just only seem to go in one way, not allowing me to move up and down the gears as I would have expected.

A rather embarrassing beginners issue/question but if anyone can point a novice in the right direction I would be extremely grateful!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The flick bugs are only ment to go in one way. On the right for the rear gear change, left for the front. on the right you flick the brake lever across on the to move the gears from the drop-out to the spokes, the tab flick buds to move the chain from wheel to drop-out.
Left hand lever is brake lever sweep across to move from small chain ring to large, tab flick bud to go from big to small chainring.
If you are doing this and and that wasnt your question, sorry. If its the rear mech that isnt working right, is it that you have released too much cable tension in the fiddling. You turn the strange shaped plastic turner(technical of course;)) one way to put on more tension. This does the indexing, so change gear with a lever and put some tension on the rear mech cable with that turn nut untill it changes gear. Put a bit on, then lift the back wheel up and pedal abit. When it changes up, change down one gear, you might have to take abit of tension off.
Or, take it to your LBS where you got it from and ask them to sort it, and watch what they do.
Its a nice bike you picked by the way:becool:

Mortiroloboy

Hello and welcome to CC, You can never leave now <Manic laugh>Wot Joe24 just said, I also have a (slightly):eek: modified SCR4 as my winterbike, and am very pleased with the, er ...frame;) Oh, and all the other stuff too. But yes, good choice of bike, good solid VFM with the potential to upgrade in future should your need/want/pocket require.

Those FD 2200/Sora shifters do require some getting used to, but soon enough you'l be doing it like second nature.

Top Bottom