Importance of gearing range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An interesting point. From a not very thorough examination of the topic, the other common number of spokes which is above 32 is 36
There is, also, 42, I think, normally used for tandems.

Does that make that much of a difference?

Based on purely physics the larger the wheel and the smaller number of spokes the "weaker" the wheel is, all things being equal. In other words a 26 inch wheel with 32 spokes is "stronger" than a 700c wheel with the same spokecount. By how much I cannot say. My understanding is that a competent wheelbuilder can make a stronger wheel from fewer spokes than a machine with more spokes.

Lots of folk tour on 32 (and fewer) but a lot of it depends on load, surfaces, distances, competence of rider and wheelbuilder.

It's not unusual to have a 36 count on the rear and 32 (or fewer) on the front.

For some, truing a wheel or replacing a spoke is nearly as straightforward as adjusting the brakes. For others of us it involves all kinds of prayer, black magic and the promise of souls in return for less wobble.

I'm thinking of handling this by reducing the overall weight of rider + luggage, by focusing on the rider
Usually, in all the talk of weight very little attention is paid to the weight of the rider! For anyone who is focusing on that - stay away from Spain ^_^

You have lots of time to figure out weight and test things out.

For me, it was always going to be 36 spokes (and a 26 wheel) - but then I knew what I'd be carrying and where I hoped to be going.
Had I been going to continue south from Quito I would have upgraded to a tandem wheel on the rear. Wheel anxiety is not pleasant and can impact on route options. I had some in Colombia and yet more in Spain. I don't recommend it.

Looking back, I should have included spoke count in an earlier post about what I look for in a touring bike.

Top Bottom