Scraping and clanking from rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Airlane1979

A bike shop replaced my rear wheel last year. Since then, I hear intermittent scrapes, clanks and other odd noises when I ride my hybrid 21-speed bike. I thought it was from inside the pedal assembly but I thoroughly oiled it to no effect and it seems to happen when I free-wheel too. The shop replaced the cassette and chain last week but the same problem exists. Can anyone suggest what is causing this and how I might rectify it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very difficult to identify where the problem might be. First thing is get the wheels off the ground and spin the cranks. Noises don't always come from where you think they're coming from.
Any play in the BB or at the rim on the rear wheel? Chain rubbing anywhere? Perhaps remove the rear wheel and check the freehub operation. Also check the axle for play and smoothness. Do gears shift smoothly?
What make and model is it?

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

These noises first arose when a local repair shop replaced the rear wheel, so everything ought to be set up correctly. As others have suggested to me, I will return there for them to at least diagnose the fault. But thankyou for some ideas which I can check if the shop staff are unhelpful.

Top Bottom