Scratched Bar Ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Someone let me borrow some bar ends to see how I liked them, and after a couple of days I had my bike propped against a wall, and my bike fell over and one of the bar ends got scratched. It is a black bar end so its really obvious.

I was wondering whether I should try and repaint them or if I should just give them some money for the damage.

Anyone have any cures for scratched paint?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
best just tell them. Think they would notice paint.
Sure they would understand it was an accident

GrasB

Veteran
unless you're gonna repaint them from scratch just fess up & talk to the guy. Personally I wouldn't give a damn if you'd scratched some bar ends.

longers

Legendary Member
Did you like them Sam?

I've got a pair going spare - slightly scratched - you could have them for the cost of postage if you like.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Yeah I did like them Longers! Thanks for the offer :biggrin:, but I just bought some Specialized Bar Ends today (They were on sale for £10).

I found putting them slightly above horizontal lets me rest my hands and wrist on them, then I can rest my arms on the bars, then I can tuck in quite a bit.

Mr Pig

I would just give the guy the money. I feel that if you borrow something you've got an obligation to give it back in the same condition you got it in. There's nothing worse than lending something to someone and getting it back gubbed! I stopped lending out LP records years ago because I got sick of getting irreplaceable records back ruined.

I borrowed a garden fork from a neighbour a couple of years ago and trying to prise a brick out of the ground with it I cracked one of the forks. I didn't tell the guy, I just went out and bought a new fork of similar quality to the one I broke. Everybody feels good if you do that, you can't go wrong.

Virtual DBP

haven't done this in a while now, but when i was younger my mates and i would always borrow each other's cars and motorbikes and it was always on the rule, "you bend it, you mend it".

anything i borrow these days is still on that premise, therefore i would keep those ones an offer him the £10 ones.

however, as shakespeare wrote, neither a borrower nor a lender be

Jonathan M

Well, unless he only rides on road, very carefully, and not a lot, I'd say it is near umpossible to not scratch bar ends. So if he's that prissy about it, tell him to get a life.

Seriously though, offer some compensation to him, if he's a mate he'll turn it down. It isn't like you have actually broken a component is it?

I'm still planning to change my Ribble winter bike to flat bars, with Campag flat bar shifters, and to re-fit some very old, very comfy Onza CWA (Cut & welded aluminium) bars ends, simply because they are superb & comfy bar ends, but are sat in my tool box, and have been since i went to riser bars on my MTBs several years ago. I even sold a bike with them on, regretted loosing the bar ends, and contacted the guy who bought the bike. Top man, he posted them back to me FOC! theyb are worn, the black anodising is very patchy, and they are scratched +++, but hey, that is bar ends.

ACS

Legendary Member
Sam Kennedy said:
Yeah I did like them Longers! Thanks for the offer :bicycle:, but I just bought some Specialized Bar Ends today (They were on sale for £10).

I found putting them slightly above horizontal lets me rest my hands and wrist on them, then I can rest my arms on the bars, then I can tuck in quite a bit.

Use these on my hybrid / commuter I have added some handlebar tape and the difference is considerable once you become accustomed to the slightly bulky feel.

Virtual DBP

<<Bar ends get scratched up in no time anyway.>>

i think that's irrelevant. if i let someone borrow something and it's in pristine condition when they get it, i expect to get it back in similar.

there's a big difference between me scratching my own stuff and someone else scratching it. i know if it was that precious he wouldn't have given anyone a loan of it, but still.

If you're worried about it (and good for you!) offer him your new ones and to keep his scratched ones. He'll probably appreciate the gesture and may not take it up, but at least you've offered ..

Though, as others have said, bar ends seem to scratch if you so much as look at them.

Jonathan M

Sam doesn't state whether they were pristine or not in the first place, a lot depends on original condition. If they already bore scratches then Sam is duty bound to offer some compensation, but if i were the friend I'd appreciate the gesture but turn him down. if they were brand new and immaculate then I'd probably take him up on his gesture.

Top Bottom