Scratches on crank arms.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
im clipped in and still rub the crank arm sometimes like @ColinJ i ride heel in so as other suggest i heli tape the crank arm

First l've heard of helicopter tape , l'll give it a go. I wouldn't normally be so fussy but l'm tarting up one of my Look steel bikes with a Mavic 631 starfish crankset which l bought here in France for not much money ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
Has anyone got advice on how to reduce surface scratches on drive side crank arm. I'm guessing that they were caused by the strap / buckle on "rat trap" pedals.

I just looked up the tape and it's not what l want . I will go back to basics and use a bit of elbow grease and fine grade abrasive paste ....very cautiously !
Your OP did not make it clear that these cranks had not been scratched by you: hence comments on how to avoid/protect. And your use of the word "reduce" implied that (to this English speaker); but I realise you actually mean reduce the appearance of (ie aesthetics).
Still; got there in the end (assume nude alloy, not painted).

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Your OP did not make it clear that these cranks had not been scratched by you: hence comments on how to avoid/protect. And your use of the word "reduce" implied that (to this English speaker); but I realise you actually mean reduce the appearance of (ie aesthetics).
Still; got there in the end (assume nude alloy, not painted).

Exactly, the crank is my latest acquisition in my effort to fit a steel Look KG bike with Mavic components ... i.e Starfish 631 from the early 1990's until the later "improved" 632 came along .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes, not a lot of point putting protective film over the existing scratches, but you might like to consider it after you've restored them. If you are prone to rub cranks with your shoes you could try moving the cleats inwards a little and/or use one or two (no more) pedal washers on the pedal spindles

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Yes, not a lot of point putting protective film over the existing scratches, but you might like to consider it after you've restored them. If you are prone to rub cranks with your shoes you could try moving the cleats inwards a little and/or use one or two (no more) pedal washers on the pedal spindles

I like the idea of using a washer as a spacer , will give it a try , thanks !

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You can buy specific 'pedal washers', but I sourced alloy washers of the same diameter, width and thickness online for a fraction of the price, but I did need a fair number to equip all my bikes!

Sallar55

Veteran
I tried some black etch stuff to blacken Aluminium cranks but it never worked. Only way to do it properly is to have it done professionally, send it off to be sandblasted and anodised black/silver again.

Top Bottom