Screen zombies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58086629

Find this horrifying.

Subtract working hours and what have you got left?

Whenever I've seen figures for TV watching time they have tended to seem rather moderate but this seems to say that folks are just going online for video.

And these figures don't seem to include general online stuff, facefark, cyclechat etc - just video visual prog stuff.

Bloody glad my TV is dumb (only good use of an internet TV it seems to me is for iplayer etc) and that I make minimal use of the smartphone.

Find yourself a good book at least folks.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I think its a case of taking yourself out of lockdown mode or if youre one of the 'work from home' types. Set up boundaries and routines where you fully commit to work rather than have two screens going and watch videos while you work.

I personally dont see why anyone would want to watch TV when most channels pump out re-runs of old tv shows or reality shows like 'love island' or 'big brother' -- I never understood why those shows are so popular.

But going online for video with streaming services shows how far behind regular TV content has fallen behind.

With that said even subscription numbers for services like Disney+ and Netflix have fallen quite substantially in the past 6 months. There are too many paid streaming services online and people are getting tired of paying for all of them and rather just be subscribed to one service to save the money.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're very 'picky' with what we watch now. On-line services actually give us something to watch that we are interested in, rather than just sit there. If nothing is 'available' we do something else. 2-3 subscription services are cheaper than the rubbish Sky pumps out.

Some folk don't have hobbies or interests, so will just watch TV.

Jody

Stubborn git
Wasn't there something going on in 2020 that kept everyone indoors, with lots of spare time on their hands and no job to go to?

Might have contributed to the horrifying amount of time people spent in front of the box.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Wasn't there something going on in 2020 that kept everyone indoors, with lots of spare time on their hands and no job to go to?

Might have contributed to the horrifying amount of time people spent in front of the box.
well yes - but lets see what happens to all those figures.
There was always something else to do.

Jody

Stubborn git
well yes - but lets see what happens to all those figures.

Time spent in front of a screen is likely to dwindle as society goes back to normal. As will all the other things that gained a premium due to the pandemic.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have any Internet devices. I send my posts into CC by pony express.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
normal routine for me is maybe 20 mins in the morning news when having brekkie then i watch about 3 hours a week unless a cycle race is on :smile:
I admit this week i have watched a lot more as im off work and had a summer cold so its been a bit of a veg out week :sad:

Top Bottom