screw loose on mudguard...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Is there any way of tightening this screw back in without removing the wheel/mudguard? There must've been an awful lot of jiggling and vibrating over the years for it to work itself out completely.
2uy3zi8.jpg

Mark_Robson

I don't how you could. What's the issue with removing the wheel?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Looks all wrong to me. That "tab" is supposed to stick straight up from the guard isn't it? Then the bolt goes through the frame, caliper brakes if any and the "tab" - secured by a nut (usually Nylok) which can be removed without interfering with the wheel. Looks to me like the tab has been bent over - and the bolt through the frame is at the "wrong" angle.

Is that the way it's done on these new-fangled aluminimum V-brake frames?

02GF74

Über Member
Mark_Robson said:

We can only presume extreme laziness:angry: - probably took longer to type up the post, then read replies than to remove the wheel!! ;)

Assuming the thread has not stripped in the frame, chase out thread with a tap, use a new bolt and some threadlock. Job done for all eternity if done correctly.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Mark_Robson said:
Hi
Removing the wheel isn't the problem. The problem is the mudguard hex-bolt closest to the bottom bracket which is completely seized up, so the mudguard won't come off.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Try the gift of penetrating oil Maz. At some stage that guard will have to come off. The longer you leave a seized bolt, the harder it will be to get out. Immerse yourself in the challenge, and when you replace the bolt, gease it well!
Hi

When I said 'hex-bolt', it's actually a 'countersunk allen', and the hexagon is more of a circle (diameter of only a few mm).

I tried some WD40 on it, but it wouldn't budge for love nor money.

Anyway, sorted it now...I removed the wheel and prised back the 'claws' on the C-shaped bracket that clasps the mudguard to give me clearance to use a screwdriver on the screw.

That trick will only work a few times before the claws fatigue and break off.

02GF74

Über Member
no doubt you cannot buy the bravket separately so for the price of a 10 p bolt you will end up havingto buy new mudguards, hmmmmmmm...............

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Looks like you might be able to remove the metal bracket entirely, then drill a small hole through the mudguard itself and bolt directly through that.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
02GF74 said:
We can only presume extreme laziness:angry: - probably took longer to type up the post, then read replies than to remove the wheel!! :smile:

Assuming the thread has not stripped in the frame, chase out thread with a tap, use a new bolt and some threadlock. Job done for all eternity if done correctly.
What does this mean? What is threadlock?

briank

But it's a lifetime investment, Maz!

A lifetime of knowing that, where you've used the threadlock at least, the world is as it should be!

Money well spent, unless you're planning on dying in the next 12 months - cos then it would be costing as much as 2p a day to avert trouble unnecessarily.

Mark_Robson

briank said:
But it's a lifetime investment, Maz!

A lifetime of knowing that, where you've used the threadlock at least, the world is as it should be!

Money well spent, unless you're planning on dying in the next 12 months - cos then it would be costing as much as 2p a day to avert trouble unnecessarily.
ROFLMAO :biggrin:

Top Bottom