Screw on headset cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
looks to me like the screw that goes through the top cap is already screwed into the bung, needs taking out, threading through the top cap and re torquing

View attachment 397157
OP says the cap is threaded though, and the hole takes a hex key. So I'm wondering if the cap itself engages with the expander bung to provide the preload.

I know this doesn't answer the original question, I'm just interested.

OP says the cap is threaded though, and the hole takes a hex key. So I'm wondering if the cap itself engages with the expander bung to provide the preload.

I know this doesn't answer the original question, I'm just interested.
My Boardman Pro Carbon, has the preloader under the top cap, the top cap screws into the pre loader.

rothbags

Hi

My questions are:

1) what is this type of screw on headset cap called? All the ones I can find on the Internet are the cap and bolt type.

2) my LBS told me that to get a new cap I would need to buy a new set of forks - sounds a bit expensive and excessive to me — just to get a new or different screw on cap. Anyone know where I can buy just a new screw on cap?

3) The reason I was interested to know all the above was as I was concerned water (or sweat) could enter through the allen key whole on the cap, and collect inside the top of the headset. Again the LBS told me they are designed to allow water in, and it will drain via the forks. While this is hopefully true, my preference would be to get a different cap without an open whole, or at least a plug of some type to stop any water getting in at all.

Have attached two photos in case it helps!

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

I've just taken delivery of one of the ASR 8.9's and went through the same "WTF is this top cap / bung arrangement?" malaise. Despite years of fettling, this one really threw me... Its an awful design and will be getting replaced with something more user friendly soon.

Its an FSA expander bung - same as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-8-FS...675755?hash=item2aa3705a2b:g:NrEAAOSwcLxYMwF8 only not branded as FSA.

Have to say, other than that and the stupid decision to spec a 56cm bike with an 80mm stem, The overly bulbous heaset camp that adds 25mm to the stack, both of which are being replaced, its a lovely piece of kit for the money ( even at RRP and no-one pays that right ) . Reckon it could easily take 32mm tyres with guards..

OP
OP
wiremoons

wiremoons

Simon,

I've just taken delivery of one of the ASR 8.9's and went through the same "WTF is this top cap / bung arrangement?" malaise. Despite years of fettling, this one really threw me... Its an awful design and will be getting replaced with something more user friendly soon.

Its an FSA expander bung - same as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-8-FS...675755?hash=item2aa3705a2b:g:NrEAAOSwcLxYMwF8 only not branded as FSA.

Have to say, other than that and the stupid decision to spec a 56cm bike with an 80mm stem, The overly bulbous heaset camp that adds 25mm to the stack, both of which are being replaced, its a lovely piece of kit for the money ( even at RRP and no-one pays that right ) . Reckon it could easily take 32mm tyres with guards..

Hi Rothbags

Congratulations on your new Boardman ASR 8.9 - hope you are enjoying it!

Thanks for the info you found on the top cap. It is an odd choice of component I think, when the rest of the bike is well spec’ed with ‘normal’ Shimano 105 kit mostly, along with some of Boardman’s own in house parts. I know Boardman do use FSA parts on their other bikes—so I suppose it is no surprise they got this odd part from them too.

I understand the longer stem was to provide better handling in poor weather conditions—but perhaps a long stem on a larger framed bike is a bit too long? I have the ‘M’ model which has a 53cm frame size and a 90mm stem length. The sizes and measurements of the four models are here: https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/1573-asr-8.9.html#size Mine handles fine, and is comfortable to ride. It is certainly not a skittish as my other bike, that has more of a racing geometry setup and feel. It is nice to have the more relaxed ride of the ASR for longer rides!

After trying a few different things with the stem cap hole, I have ended up with a bit of black electrical tape over it—shame really on such a nice bike, but it does the job, and I soon forget about it when out enjoying rides. At least it stops any water collecting in there.

I think I read somewhere that the bike can take up to 32mm tyres—so you should be fine with that size I hope. I have put 25mm Continentals GP4000sII on for the summer, and will probably go back to the 28mm Vitoria tyres the bike arrived with, for the winter.

I am very pleased with mine overall, and have enjoyed quite a lot of miles on it—with many more to come I hope :smile:

Cheers

Simon

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Top Bottom