screw TDF and the Velodrome....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy84

Veteran
Power Walking 30 miles, why should it not be a sport?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Here's an extract from the Wiki entry for the great Don Thompson

He practised to compete at the Olympics Games in Rome in 1960 by exercising in a steam-filled bathroom at home, with the heating turned up and wearing a heavy tracksuit. After exercising for about half an hour, he would feel faint. At the time, he attributed his light-headedness to the effects of heat and humidity, but later realised that it was carbon monoxide fumes from the paraffin heater. His mother made him a hat like a képi to keep the sun off his head and neck during the race; together with his sunglasses, he was nicknamed "Il Topolino" (Italian: "Mickey Mouse", literally "little mouse").

compo

Veteran
The cameraman got a bit "arty" and did a close up of the walker's feet. The Chinaman Si was clearly running,ie, had both feet off the ground at the same time. I see the judges giving yellow warnings but the commentators didn't say who to.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It is as bad as running, they really have to go as quickly as possible without actually running whilst putting their feet down properly with every step.

Try it for any sort of distance and you'll appreciate that it is more difficult than it seems :rolleyes:.

Clearly it is an event in which only the horse deserves the medal.

It is event where they BOTH deserve a medal, it actually is a true partnership between man and animal.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It is as bad as running, they really have to go as quickly as possible without actually running whilst putting their feet down properly with every step.

Try it for any sort of distance and you'll appreciate that it is more difficult than it seems :rolleyes:.

It is event where they BOTH deserve a medal, it actually is a true partnership between man and animal.
Harder to walk at that speed than jog, i have tried it on treadmills so i could monitor speed for a direct comparison.

Top Bottom