Scuba Diving holiday of a lifetime. Where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I have a big birthday this year and I'm not getting any younger so Carpe Diem.
PS I am fit and and a strong and regular swimmer. I have told the significant other its now or never.

I did a lot of diving when I was young - anyone else learn when the flotation device was a big orange lifejacket that went over your head? These modern waistcoasts are luxury - you lot don't know you've been born! After a long gap I have done about 12 dives over last 15 years on holiday so I'll likely do a refresher (PADI?) course here before going. I do have BSAC 3 and a special accreditation they gave us for being trained in solo diving - see below. 120 or more dives.

But the Questions is

Where should I go for a week next winter to spoil myself?

I want
Reasonable travel time, partially so my body clock is not resetting itself for a week, then time to come home. So if possible less than 6 hours flight? (Don't enjoy travelling so this is important)
Warm water. No dry suit. I learnt in a gravel pit in Tamworth, in winter with a 5mm wetsuit! Thin wetsuit is acceptable - I love the feeling of water on my skin.
Not bothered with great depth unless there's something fabulous to seek.
Good visibility. I spent 30 days diving, exploring the wreck of the Mary Rose before she was lifted, when the best visibility was 1m!

Would consider a boat trip, but a variety of dives, a wreck, a reef or fabulous marine life or some combinations ideal.
Not that interested in meeting great whites either. Diving for me is about the freedom to move and explore.
Unless I can find a luxury hotel to base ourselves in, this might a solo trip - anyone have experience of this? Instead of a partners holiday with a bit of diving this is to be a diving holiday with partner invited if she chooses to come. Although the right place might tip the balance.

So suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
Chap sur le velo

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
PS Can't seem to edit. For the purposes of working out travel I am based in London.
There's a posiiblity of a trip to Australia in future but not this time.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I’ve done a couple of Mike Ball dive trips on liveaboards out of Cairns and loved them. The trip goes out to Osprey Reef.

Obviously that fits more with your second post (than your first one). No 1 son is a marine biologist in Fiji and loves the diving there. But again it’s a bit of a schlep to get there. If you are interested, I can post some links

contadino

Veteran
The best diving I've had was in Tobago and Nicaragua, but both are too far for you. I'd go back to Nicaragua in a heartbeat. Cuba's good too.

I've had great times on liveaboards in the Red Sea but as much thanks to the he company as the diving.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Truck lagoon maybe ? I think there is a fair bit at middling depths as well as the more serious deeper stuff.

And a few more alternatives which are admittedly rather different from your stated criteria, but hey ho...

not quite the exotic holiday level you asked, how about Scapa Flow? Buy yourself a drysuit and ideally twin 12s (though plenty dive there with a 15 and a pony tank) with the savings from the flights and you can dive battleships at middling depths (35 to 40m). I've done a couple of hundred dives total, and half of them have been in Scapa; it's that good, I keep going back. Would be quite easy to combine with an advanced nitrox course whilst you're there - ie tank swapping to 80% oxygen at your deco stop, which halves deco obligation. For a moderately experienced diver this really isn't particularly challenging.

Or perhaps going into the more exotix category, though your post suggests not what you want, a pal of mine got talked into a dive trip on the Prince of Wales and Repulse. Despite being a very experienced diver he protested that it was rather on the deep side. "Don't worry about that" said the expedition leader, "I'll bung in a trimix course for the cost of the books and gas" An amazing experience apparently though a fairly serious undertaking

My "dream dive" would have been the Jutland wrecks, which are "only" in the mild end of trimix, but I don't think that will ever happen. I did do a trimix course, including all the dives, but for various non-diving reasons never got the certificate so would have to re-do it. Can't be arsed with the whole rebreather thing so would have been open circuit. I know someone who'd been planning to go to Jutland, but didn't quite sign up for some reason. That year weather was poor so had he gone for it, he'd have paid three grand to sit on a boat for three weeks without leaving Hull harbour !

I've not dived for a few years now, and recently had a bit of a lungs related health scare, so don't know if I'll go again. Scapa does beckon though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Red Sea, Egypt. I have not been for years. But it was great when I went. Its easy travelling distance, very foreign and other things to see and do apart from diving. I stayed in Luxor and then Hurghada. Both different. Both excellent

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd check out the cost of holiday insurance that covers diving as well before you decide anything. It might be a lot if you are elderly. Also is there an age limit re the tour operators taking you out diving? I'd check that as well.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Egypt seems to tick your boxes.....Sharm shouldn't be too busy in winter. Book a week on a day boat ie you are out at 0830 and back for 1630. Its very well organised eg they load your gear on the boat and it stays there. Lots nice places to eat and drink.
3mm suit it plenty😀

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The Red Sea was definitely good when i last dived there in 2005, and it ticks the box for travel time. Jackson Reef and surrounding areas within range of boat (and car and boat)!from Sharm.

No matter where you look, I suggest lots of research to check the condition of dive sites (coral bleaching, storm damage, etc) and to determine best time of year for warmth, visibility and 'things to see'. Also check FCO travel advice!

contadino

Veteran
Egypt seems to tick your boxes.....Sharm shouldn't be too busy in winter. Book a week on a day boat ie you are out at 0830 and back for 1630. Its very well organised eg they load your gear on the boat and it stays there. Lots nice places to eat and drink.
3mm suit it plenty😀

The biggest benefit of liveaboards especially in the Red Sea are the night dives and you'd miss that on day boats.

Top Bottom