Scum!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We got back from a lovely Christmas at 11.30 last night to discover that The Tank, my lovely husband's bike, had been nicked! :smile:

It was (unfortunately unlocked) at the back of our car park space in our secure car park under our nice, smart block of flats. Covered in two tarpaulins. And weirdly, the husband had taken the saddle off, so it was nicked without a saddle while two much nicer, newer, less grubby bikes were left safely and unlocked in the space next to ours.

I'm so angry. Scumbags, how DARE they take someone else's bike? It doesn't matter that it wasn't an expensive bike, it was OURS and it had carried him safely round Europe and India! I'm also feeling rather guilty and HUGELY relieved that my darling Liesl was sheltering from the elements, decked out in tinsel in our living room. If she'd been stolen too, I would have been gutted.

The lesson....lock your bike. Yes, we've heard it before but sadly it's necessary.

The only good thing in this is that FINALLY the husband will have to give into my incessant nagging to get a good bike for next year's trip....we're off to Paul Hewitt on Saturday.

Dave5N

Über Member
Bad luck.

If I read your post right, it must have been a resident of your block or someone visiting a resident?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That gloomy thought did occur to me. It's possible that the garage door was open over the week we were away at some point, but bearing in mind Richard's mobile was stolen in our garage recently too, it doesn't bode well for the honesty of our neighbours although I hate to think that someone we live with nicked the Tank.

Hopefully there's some CCTV footage - I need to speak to the caretaker.

Cathryn, sad & disturbing news; it doesn't matter about the value, it's the principle.

Stable door etc but could you fix one of those security devices to the wall ? Chanin the next bike to the security device ?

My bike was stolen from inside my shed - just too late I fixed a copper tube the length of the shed (supported at close intervals) and use several chains and padlocks now.

I should know who on ACF sells the metal securing kit ?

Failing that nip along to your local blacksmith, normally found on industrial estates these days making cast iron curtain poles, and they will knock you up a U shaped bar with fittings for the wall for a fair price.

yenrod

Their is a saying: anything lost is usually close by.

Story: i once put by outside of side-gate then locked back door put shoes on then went out front and mine had gone one - soo, shot in changed and went looking for it and found it !

Wasnt bothered about he lad on the bike BUT just wanted IT back.

So, as Crack says, check around the locality - ask around etc...yuh never know :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
yenrod said:
Their is a saying: anything lost is usually close by.

Story: i once put by outside of side-gate then locked back door put shoes on then went out front and mine had gone one - soo, shot in changed and went looking for it and found it !

Wasnt bothered about he lad on the bike BUT just wanted IT back.

So, as Crack says, check around the locality - ask around etc...yuh never know :?:

Good advice. I had a bike nicked many years ago. Many hours later, I went to a corner shop I didn't usually visit and found my bike. Had to hit the lad on it, but I got it back intact.

Many years ago I had my very beaten up bike stolen. It was quite an art to ride this bike as the chainwheel and sprockets were quite worn, and you had to know just how much pressure you could safely exert on the pedals before the chain unshipped.

The bike was found nearby with blood on the stem, and an unshipped chain. Justice. :tongue:

Alan Frame said:
Many years ago I had my very beaten up bike stolen. It was quite an art to ride this bike as the chainwheel and sprockets were quite worn, and you had to know just how much pressure you could safely exert on the pedals before the chain unshipped.

The bike was found nearby with blood on the stem, and an unshipped chain. Justice. :tongue:

Justice indeed. Nice one Alan Frame

Zoiders

Nicked by junkies I bet

Scope your neighbours out, I bet one is a dodgy moron who is using a shiney new housing asociation flat as a flop house for all the local scrunters, it happened in my block of flats as well, thankfully in the end all the landlords did proper credit checks and the like and got them all evicted with the help of enforcement orders relating to noise, littering and vandalism

Top Bottom