Seaburn, Sunderland to Wrekenton, Gateshead commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TM cyclist

I'm looking at the Cycle to Work Scheme and would like to find the best route from Seaburn to Wrekenton. I use the C2C regularly on weekends and that could take me as far as Washington. A friend has also suggested using the old train line path from Wardley which would mean going via Boldon or Jarrow (if I'm scared of crossing the A19). Any advice?

DRM

Guru
Have a look at Komoot, put the address of your start point in, then your destination & search, it will pick up a route, which you can then fine tune using a bit of local knowledge, so that it will suit where you’ll be comfortable riding. Also the sustains website may have a cycle path shown in the area.
for what it’s worth I wouldn’t want to go anywhere near the A19

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There's got to be cycle routes through Washington surely - I'm further north but my boss reckons he can get from Washington to Newcastle easily on cycle paths. That could be an option for you.

There's a FB group for the Friends of Newcastle Cycling (or something like that) - I think some of those members are south of the Tyne so might have suggestions for you.

nealmo

I'm a Washignton local if i were doing that commute in summer and dry would be

C2C to, Barmston lane over the 1231, over the traffic lights at nissan way, i think theres a shared used cycle path on the new road there, follow this to the a1290 turn left, turn right at the roundabout onto Sulgrave road, then right on Rutherford road (an alternative would be left then Inkerman road right onto Heworth road left onto Coach road on to Pearth Hall road but i think this will have significantly more traffic at commute times) , left onto Stephenson road, straight on at the roundabout careful this is a busy from A195 traffic , up stone cellar road (bit of a long uphill drag) . right at the 2nd roundabout on to Pearth hall road gets you to the middle of Springwell. Looks to be a muddy bridleway at the end of Belmont terrace then will get you to galloping green road but i'm getting away from places i normally ride.

Disclaimer check it out first im a fairly confident fastish road cyclist.

Top Bottom