Seal Skinz Mountain Bike Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Seal Skinz Mountain Bike Glove
(Vikeonabike)
Around November time, my poor little pinkies started to get a little chilly whilst patrolling my area. The nice thin gloves supplied by “The Force”, really weren’t up to the job. Complaining that it’s too cold to go out isn’t really the sort of thing your everyday Viking Police officer should be caught doing. So I had a search on that interweb thing and found Seal Skinz Mountain Bike Gloves. Waterproof, windproof, breathable and warm, just the job I thought.
I quickly ran off to speak to the bank manager to get a loan for 30 of our very British pounds (about 3 Euros now I think). Well, the banks aren’t loaning money so I resorted to plan B. A cheeky e-mail was sent to a Seal Skinz, promising the use of my body to test their products, so they didn’t have to hurt baby marine mammals.
A very nice lady (Hailey) replied and said that a pair of gloves was in the post.

A couple of days later I received a very nice pair of black Seal Skinz Mountain Bike Gloves. Ripping open the packet I was confronted by two very tactile looking sleeping bags for my fingers, one for each hand no less. Sliding my hands inside the very well fitted gloves (thanks to the very handy sizing guide and printable tape measure on Seal Skinz website) I was immediately impressed. Very comfortable, pre shaped to rest on the handlebars, handy moisture wipes on the thumps (didn’t want to write snot wipe, so uncouth). Gel padding on the palms. Velcro wrist fastener and a little clip to keep them both safe and together when not being worn.

So too testing! How do you test, waterproof/windproof/breathable gloves when it’s cold dry and calm. Ok first test. Turn on the tap in the kitchen and soak gloves, wash up the mountain of coffee cups…..result. Dry hands. Get a lift to my next job, stick my hand out of the window at 30mph….mmm seem windproof to me. Ok it’s not scientific, but I was happy none the less. Since November I have worn these gloves for about 6 hours a day 5 days a week on average and they have been warn comfortably in temperatures ranging from about -3 to +8 C. Only on a couple of very cold nights did I replace them with my very warm to finger gloves that I usually use on my motorcycle. Bearing in mind the amount of use they have had over the last 2 months they have stood up really well. There is a slight bobbling on the index finger of each glove where the finger scratches against the Shimano trigger shifter and the Velcro on the wrist isn’t quite as secure as I would like. Other than that, they are absolutely fantastic.

All in all I would recommend these gloves to anybody looking for a pair of cycling gloves for the colder more inclement weather.

(No animals were harmed during the testing of these gloves, although I did frighten a squirrel in the local park)

Top Bottom