sealing cut tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am sure must have been asked before, but:
is there anything you can put in cuts in tyres which will reliably fill a cut - and stay there?
I don't mean small cuts so much - too much bother to fuss with those - I just check my tyres regularly and dig out any bits that may have lodged there.
But now and again i get a bigger cut in an otherwise near perfect tyre. And these are more of an invitation to other debris.
I know some folk suggest superglue but am not convinced - I have the impression that it dries too hard.
With all the trash non-products available for cyclists am a bit surprised that the genius of modern materials science hasn't come up with a product specifically for this - or maybe there aren't enough mean gits like me around to make this a worthwhile market?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can try patch on the inside, but if it's enough for a tube to deform the tyre slightly, it's time for another.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For fixing tyres I think the superglue that is recommended is flexible superglue/ gel

That might address your concerns about it setting too hard.

I've never tried it though. But I have seen it for sale.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let me search... Here you go:

My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)
:eek:

I used to put superglue on my Michelin hilites tyres when they first came out. They would cut up a bit.
Never had any problems with the glue at all.

I think the story above is coincidental rather than caused by the glue.

You can get black witch glue that repairs neoprene tears and remains soft. That might be a better idea just to plug the hole and prevent grit or things getting in.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
You can get black witch glue that repairs neoprene tears and remains soft. That might be a better idea just to plug the hole and prevent grit or things getting in.

That might be handy - will check out lomo who do lots of stuff for the rubbery community.

edit - here we are:
https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088.pl?WD=glue&PN=black-witch-glue-adhesive.html#SID=35

might be handy if will survive being opened then left - good manufacturer - they do well regarded stuff for fixing tents - sealant and tape etc.

tho out of stock with the watersports folk at the mo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!
have no reason to think this cut will ever threaten the structure of the tyre. It's just a cut - which being of a certain size will be prone to collecting other puncture junk to pass to the tube.

ColinJ

have no reason to think this cut will ever threaten the structure of the tyre. It's just a cut - which being of a certain size will be prone to collecting other puncture junk to pass to the tube.
The cut in my tyre had gone straight through the 'structure of the tyre' in the first place. I was really angry that a tyre I had just paid £20+ for was cut in the first 5 miles of use and tried to get my money's worth out of it.

Looking back, I was stupid... There is no way that I would attempt a repair like that now!

gbb

Legendary Member
Up to 6mm long cuts in gators, i always placed a short length (25 - 30mm) of emery tape between the tube and the tyre. I rode many thousands of miles on damaged tyres like that, just occasionally replace it.
Strong, cloth woven reinforced, emery side to the tyre, works perfectly well, i even used to carry a few inches in my saddle bag for emergencies.

ColinJ

Up to 6mm long cuts in gators, i always placed a short length (25 - 30mm) of emery tape between the tube and the tyre. I rode many thousands of miles on damaged tyres like that, just occasionally replace it.
Strong, cloth woven reinforced, emery side to the tyre, works perfectly well, i even used to carry a few inches in my saddle bag for emergencies.
That sounds like a good plan.

In my case in Spain, the cut was 15-20 mm long!

Top Bottom