Sealing SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Achilles

I am about to fit the clips to my Shimanos which I have been using with toe clips up to now. I use them for touring and do not carry, flip flops apart, spare shoes so I use them to walk to the pub and off and on the site. ( I use the flip flops for around the site)

Is there anything in addition to the sticky backed plastic I can use to help seal the soles – anyone tried silicone sealant for example? I quite like having dry feet!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
anyone tried silicone sealant for example?

Yes - always.

barq

Yep, silicon sealant is good. I also put a bit in the bolt head sockets as it stops small stones getting stuck in the socket and means you can just unpick the silicon and get an allen key in at a later date should you need to replace the cleats. Sounds weird, but trust me you'll be glad you did it! xx(

I've also used gaffer tape on the inside of shoes under the inner sole.

domtyler

Über Member
Having holes in the soles of cycling shoes can be beneficial when cycling either in the heat for extra ventilation or in the rain for allowing the water to drain out. This is why 'proper' road shoes have numerous holes, albeit covered with mesh.

Bigtallfatbloke

may sound silly but if you go to a Gym or swimming pool you can half inch several pairs of those blue plastic shoes things they make you put over your shoes if you go poolside without changing...bit like polythene hair nets without the holes...often in sexy blue....but wear them inside the shoe over your socks and you get dry feet and drained shoes...oh and the women all tell me how hot I look in them;)xx(

Blonde

Agree with above - use Duct tape - it is water proof and you can cut a decent sized piece to fully cover the holes, rather than trying to squarely fit the tiny bit of stuff you get with the shoes.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
may sound silly but if you go to a Gym or swimming pool you can half inch several pairs of those blue plastic shoes things they make you put over your shoes if you go poolside without changing...bit like polythene hair nets without the holes...often in sexy blue....but wear them inside the shoe over your socks and you get dry feet and drained shoes...oh and the women all tell me how hot I look in them;):biggrin:

good range of colours these days http://www.henleysmed.com/contents/en-uk/d104.html

OP
OP
A

Achilles

Very fetching BFB

Thanks for the advice - its silocone and gaffer tape for me with a pair of sealskinz on my future gear wish list.

I have to say I am not convinced by the drainage hole concept. There is a trend in ultralightweight backpackers to walk in running shoes and accept they have wet feet all day - I would rather keep them dry for as long as possible. If I wanted to go down that route - and its one I am considering for next summer - I would get some Shimano sandles.

I use Gore-Tex socks: Not when I'm cycling, your feet still get wet, but at the end of the day - after shower put on Gore-tex socks, slip on wet shoes and feet stay dry plus the heat of feet, especially in pub, dries the shoes ready for the next day. Also good for going for walks as feet stay dry in your shoes.

Top Bottom