Sealskinz Gloves 100% Waterproof Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I purchased a pair of waterproof Sealskinz MTB Gloves (£35) from my LBS in Sep 09 and like many others I am disappointed.
They do keep my hands dry for about 40 minutes in fairly heavy rain, but become quickly saturated in torrential downpours. As an OP has indicated they are not bad as spring/ autumn gloves but they are absolutely useless as winter gloves. In the recent cold snap (-1 deg C and below) I left these at home and used my ‘bike’ gloves I picked up from Adli / Lidl last year. I did struggle on one morning and suffered with bad pain in my finger tips as they warmed up.
In summary:
Waterproof: 6/10
Windproof: 7/10
Mild weather use: 7/10
Cold weather use: 3/10
Resistance to wear and tear: 5/10
VFM : 5/10
Would I recommend these gloves to another cyclist: NO.

I've commuted in all weathers with sealskinz gloves (am on my 3rd pair after 10 years of commuting by bike). Once they wear out they let in water, but before that they've been fine for me even in the depths of winter.

They do seem to wear quicker than I'd expect for £30 of gloves, but I've not come across anything as warm an waterproof, but still allows a full range of finger movement and grip.

Maybe I have hands with no nerve endings...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I disagree that the Lidl ones are warmer... I find mine have been worn lots this year as the glove to keep my hands warm - admittedly with a liner glove.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Has anyone dealt with Sealskinz Customer service in the past, mine went back to Cycle Surgery for "investigation". They are to send them back to Sealskinz on Monday.

What I don't understand is that some people seems to be happy with them, its like pot luck when when buying these gloves.:laugh:

Tynan,
Which Altura do you have?

jay1lk

My sealskinz have done me through a cornish winter. Very wet at times and -5 and below on a few occasions. Will by another pair when these wear out...

slater

manalog said:
Washed them with Nikwax Soap at 30 degrees and applied Nikwax TX Waterproofer on the outside. I heard that detergent based soap is not good for any breathable material.

I have the same pair of gloves and they've been ok. I've ridden for hours in sleet and my hands have still been dry except for a little dampness from sweat. The outside of the gloves always apears to be soaked but my hand always stay dry.

As for using Nikwax - Why are you trying to waterproof the outside shell? the outside shell is not where the waterproofness comes from. It's the inner layer that stops the water.

From Sealskinz site
A more durable method is to use a waterproof breathable film or "membrane", which is laminated (‘glued’) to a layer of fabric inside the garment. SealSkinz® socks and gloves incorporate a Porelle membrane which is laminated between the inner and outer layers. Porelle membrane is both waterproof AND breathable, and will never wash away.

earth

I had a pair and didn't like them. Chilly in the winter, not very waterproof and the fleecy inner always got stuck to my fingers and pulled inside out when I took them off. Sealskinz would not sell me a replacement single glove when I lost one either. Poor show.

One thing to note though. I would avoid applying heat to dry them, for instance on a radiator. I did this with my Sealskinz socks and the membrane failed in one.

Top Bottom