SealSkinz Performance Road Waterproof Cycle Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a pair of these for Xmas this year, I got to say first if I had bought them myself they would be going back by now.
Were used for the first time this morning, an hour ride to work in the rain. The first problem was the liner, it moves against the outer glove so it feels like you don't have any grip on the bars. The second is that by the end of the ride when I took the gloves off, the water literally poured out from inside, they were absolutely sodden.
On the positive side, before the rain got through, there was no problem with warmth.
I think they will only now be used for the cold weather only with little chance of rain.

I have another pair from the Sealskinz outlet shop to try, the 2011 Winter cycle gloves, will let you know.....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not surprised. I have all sorts of winter gloves from cheap to ludicrously expensive and none of them have done what they should have done.

A couple of years ago I bought some military overmitts off ebay for about 12 quid. They have been brilliant in -10 and driving rain. You wont win any fashion medals but they do the job very well.

I have mentioned these on several threads recently but I dont think anyone is listening as these winter glove threads keep coming up.

If you want warm, dry hands during the winter buy these and your problems will be solved.

It really is that simple.

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-DPM-go...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4ae1353c5b

Fubar

Guru
Got a pair of these for Xmas this year, I got to say first if I had bought them myself they would be going back by now.
Were used for the first time this morning, an hour ride to work in the rain. The first problem was the liner, it moves against the outer glove so it feels like you don't have any grip on the bars. The second is that by the end of the ride when I took the gloves off, the water literally poured out from inside, they were absolutely sodden.
On the positive side, before the rain got through, there was no problem with warmth.
I think they will only now be used for the cold weather only with little chance of rain.

I have another pair from the Sealskinz outlet shop to try, the 2011 Winter cycle gloves, will let you know.....

I have a pair and as you've found they keep the water out for so long but once it gets in, it stays in - helps if you keep all your clothing on the outside of the gloves (i.e. don't tuck in base layer, etc) as they act as a conduit for the water, and tighten the straps as hard as you can.

Seems to be very little cycle clothing that is totally "waterproof" though.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
the socks are exactly the same, they act a bit like a wet suit in that at least the water inside heats up, so never cold IM experience. I don`t think there is anything out there that keeps you remotely dry in winter when its chucking it down. In fact I don`t usually even bother worrying about water proofness just warmth!

runner

Guru
I bought a pair of sealskinz for £20 in November and used them for a work 100k on a very very wet Saturday. The gloves are super absorbent of water...they did not seem to repel but collect all the rain water and when we stopped for our first coffee break (ah don't we just love our coffee breaks at home made cafe's made just for cyclists !) I too was able to squeeze all the water out...so prob ok for a shower but in a constant downpour...forget. Having said all that I actually like the gloves they fit extremelly well, the grip is first class and makes changing gears a doddle....just don't expect them to keep water out^_^

albion

Guru
the socks are exactly the same, they act a bit like a wet suit in that at least the water inside heats up..
Like other stuff, when it is damp or wet you get wet fro the inside.

Saying that, I likd the look of some of the latest ones in the shops.
My old SealSkins are like a flocked pair of Marigolds, slightly better than the socks(old again) which sort of feel like fabricat covered industrial Marigolds.

Tom B

Guru
I have tried all number of gloves to keep dry from cheapo to uber expensive.
Sealskins were the biggest disappointment the rain was in after the first mile - I took them back and they argued i'd bought too small a glove thus opened up the seams and that's what made a mess of the waterproofing.

Best value for money was the ALDI Lobster claws at £7, they stay dry for long enough to commute and are warm enough for cool days. On cold days i wear elcheapo £1 wooley gloves underneath.
I give them a squirt every now and again with waterproofing spray.

I have bought some neoprene bTwin gloves which are certainly dry, but not too warm and yes you sweat in them.
I can cope with being wet, it is cold i dont like.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have found this year that the Aldi £4.99 gloves to be nae good in the rain and cold. Back to using my old Altura gloves with holes in the them with liners. For next Winter I will need to buy something else will keep and eye out for out of season bargains.

Top Bottom